Can u eat unlimited fat as long as u hit your calorie goal?

Options
Can you eat unlimited animal fat as long as you hit your daily calorie goal - and lose weight?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Fat is 9 calories per gram.

Carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram.

However you choose to match those up to meet your calorie allowance is totally up to you.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    your Dr wouldn't advise it along with cardiologists everywhere, that is for sure! The Keto craze right now is going to harm a lot of people if they stay with it.

One of my aunts did keto for epilepsy since childhood. It at least provided for a quality of life that she would not have otherwise had...but she had a massive heart attack when she was 52 and passed.

sorry to hear
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    joowelz wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    You can but it's advisable to eat a balanced diet.

For sure.... i'm just amazed that i can eat this much fatty animal protein (i.e. cheese and dark meat chicken) and still lose weight. I grew up believing one must limit their fat grams, but I am finding satiety with a higher protein/fat diet than with a high fiber/low fat diet and it's exciting. This one tweak has been life changing.

🙂

It's great when learning how things actually work makes a big difference in your life.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have you had your cholesterol checked lately? Just to be safe.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Well.... yes you could. I was speaking to a researcher. They told me keto was pretty safe, but there is SOME question about insulin sensitivity issues long term. Jury is still out.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Well.... yes you could. I was speaking to a researcher. They told me keto was pretty safe, but there is SOME question about insulin sensitivity issues long term. Jury is still out.

It seems unwise to adopt a diet for which the "jury is still out" when all you have to do is eat balanced meals and stay in a calorie deficit to lose weight.

I fear a lot of otherwise very sensible, smart people are putting themselves in harm's way for nothing. The human body was not designed to live off 70 % fat.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Just want to clarify... my total daily fat grams are under 70 g and usually much less than 60 g. I don't think i am gorging on fat, let alone animal fat. I don't eat mammals first of all, and my cheese choices are mostly low fat. My default has always been to eat too little protein, so upping my cheese, indulging in dark meat chicken and adding nuts some evenings has been a big deal for me.

In terms of other fats, my go-to is olive or sesame oil. Butter is a special treat.

Agree that it would be wise to get cholesterol checked after a few months of increasing animal fat in one's diet.

Depending on your height and weight, eating "much less than than 60 g" on a regular basis could have you at risk of being fat deficient in your diet. Your body needs fat.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just want to clarify... my total daily fat grams are under 70 g and usually much less than 60 g. I don't think i am gorging on fat, let alone animal fat. I don't eat mammals first of all, and my cheese choices are mostly low fat. My default has always been to eat too little protein, so upping my cheese, indulging in dark meat chicken and adding nuts some evenings has been a big deal for me.

In terms of other fats, my go-to is olive or sesame oil. Butter is a special treat.

Agree that it would be wise to get cholesterol checked after a few months of increasing animal fat in one's diet.

You say you don't eat mammals but what do you think chicken is?