How much did your wedding cost?

Options
Phoenixsunflr
Phoenixsunflr Posts: 78 Member
edited August 2019 in Chit-Chat
I’m not married yet because the idea scares the crap out of me.
But just wondering how much you guys spent on your big day?
How much was your wedding dress? And how much did the whole day in total cost?
My sister spent a whooping 70k for 350guests on her day. I think that’s an absurd amount but other people around me have mentioned numbers not far off from that 70k
Edit: And this is in Australian dollars just FYI

Replies

• CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I plan to elope Ireland. I have no intentions of spending that kind of money on one day. We will marry and honey moon and then when we get home we’ll throw a party.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    American 1997 dollars

My engagement ring I think cost about $5000.

Wedding bands were about $400.

Two dresses, each about $30

I don’t remember how much the license and county clerk cost. Minimal.

A party in our apartment for about 40 guests, including painting, decorating, chafing dishes, food, cake, beverages around $1500

Honeymoon around $5000

ETA: I can’t imagine ever wanting to do any kind of ceremony ever again ever, but if I did it would be different

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    My wedding dress was less than $200. My husband's and stepson's outfits cost less than $100.

I made the bouquets for me and my maid of honor. Cost less than $100. She wore whatever she wanted.

I made the cake. The rest was potluck. $5.

We got married at my brother's home. $0.

We made CD's for the reception. My nephew was the DJ. $0.

My father got a one day Justice of the Peace license so he could marry us. $0.

Another brother, who was a photographer, volunteered his services and photo developing. $0.

So, the whole shebang costs less than $400.

We took our honeymoon on Cape Cod. $3,000.

• mtsprout
    mtsprout Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Clothes for me and him: About $150
    Silver bands for both of us: $10
    Hotel suite: $250
    Dinner at the nice hotel: $75
    Mini bar: $20

I don't remember if we paid the justice of the peace a fee to come to the hotel, but I remember the whole thing costing about $500. My parents came, his family couldn't make it, and it was really simple and sweet.
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    My son just got married in May; my hubby & I paid for the venue, $1500 and the food which we prepared ourselves, approximately $300, and the beer, about $200. The photographer was a family friend so she did the pics for $300. I bought a couple tents and some flowers for decorating the inside of the covered bridge where the ceremony was held, so thats another $250. My son rented the sound equipment and his bride bought her dress and a few other decorations, but total I'm sure there was less than $5000 for the entire wedding weekend, which included use of the cabin where the wedding party spent Friday night and the bride & groom spent Saturday night.

It was a simple ceremony but it matched my son & his bride's personalities to a T!

My daughter is getting married in October and although her venue is a little less expensive, $1200, she is planning on a lot more decorating, a DJ, and her grandparents have already spent $1400 on her dress. Her reception will be catered so that will be more and she has hired a photographer. I'm going to guess her wedding will be more in the range of $7 - $10,000. BUT she is going to be a beautiful bride!!
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    My soul!

I’d like to change my answer
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    1984 Canadian dollars.

My engagement ring cost around $450 and the wedding band was $100. His band was $5 or $10 more because it was larger.

No wedding as such, just a ceremony with a clergyperson and the two required witnesses. I wore a dress that I already owned, probably the only one I owned at that time. We took the witnesses and their spouses out for a fancy dinner that evening. No honeymoon. No flowers. Somebody took a few photos with my camera. Total cost around $400.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    Rings: $2500
    Reception: $500 (paid for by father-in-law)
    Invitations, decorations, etc: $300
    Wedding dress: $200
    Bachelor/bachelorette parties: $200 (combined)
    Groom tux: $0 (used military uniform)
    Flowers: $0 (grandmother is a florist, her gift)
    Photos: $0 (cousin is a photographer, his gift)
    Church: $0 (used military chapel)
    Clothes for groomsmen, bridesmaids: $0 (each wore whatever)
    Travel & hotel expenses for guests: $0 (each figured out their own arrangements)

So all told, the day cost a grand total of about $3,200. The honeymoon was about twice that, but it didn't come for another month after due to trying to get vacation from work.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I refused to spend more than $5K. I didn't even want to get married, was quite happy to continue to co-habitate but my husband has old fashioned ideas and dind't want to live in sin any longer (eyeroll)

I don't even like calling him my husband.

My dress cost about $100 from one of those young people shops with nightclub dresses.

The rest I don't even know exactly how much it cost, but some $ to the church, some $ (not much!) for the floral arrangement thingy the church said we had to have (so that they could keep it for the rest of the week) and the small bouquet. Some $ on a marquee that we stuck up in my parent's back yard and some $ for the food/alcohol. There was one caterer/waiter person too so that we didn't have to worry about that. But it all came in below $5K.

There was no honeymoon.

Oh, also, judging by the American values above, in Australia alcohol costs WAY more than $200 for the 30 odd people I invited. $200 of alcohol here is seriously what, 4 bottles of spirits. Or 2 cases of beer and 2 bottles of spirits.

My $5K AUD is pretty cheap for Australian monetary values. Stupid expensive-*kitten* country.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    .... just slightly more than the bail bond(s) from the honeymoon.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I got married in 2000 (and divorced 2015) - my wedding cost $15,000. We had about 100 guests, really good food, open bar (and friends who are serious drinkers). We also paid for hotel rooms for all the wedding party. My dress was originally $1800 but I got it off the sales rack marked down to $750. I loved my wedding and wouldn't have changed a thing. Except the groom ;) If I get married again it will be a totally different event however (except for the serious drinkers). Something simple, outdoors.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    2004 in USD

$6000 (two rings); we spent the most here, b/c the rings are the forever keepsake.

$5000 for travel expenses to Hawaii for elopment/honeymoon (10 days of hotel, car, airfare, included $100 wedding dress from NY&Co (it was black), etc...airfare was biggest expense b/c we stayed at a DoD resort).

$5000 for party after (included large buffet for 60+ people, live band, live Hawaiian dance show, open bar, cake, also included free rental space at my grandma's long-time country club).

I think for the amount of travel, food, entertainment...it was relatively inexpensive.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I asked this question on another website and the costs varied from a couple of hundred to tens of thousands.
  • This_far
    This_far Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    $5000 engagement ring. $500 for wedding bands. We never wear either. $6 in subway fare to city Hall. $100 lunch at the Ear Inn . $1000 airfare to Cozumel. Think wedding license was around $100.
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I had a NYC wedding in 2013. It cost about 35k. I loved everything about my wedding and wouldn’t change it.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I have never really been very traditional, And generally lean more towards my friends thn my family. My family never does funerals we have celebrations of life s omaybe that is what makes me think this way. So where I havent been married i have discussed it, And its more important to us both that we host a fun party, Yummy food and a minimal option but open bar. By all means if we want to spend the money id rather it be on a fun honeymoon. It is our day. No ones going to care to remember alot of the tiny details of our day like expensive invitation cards and stuff alot of brides go for that add up to huge costs. But our honeymoon will stay with us forever.

That being said i dont have a ton of friends anyway my circle is quite closed off except maybe a total of 10ish people including family and friends i speak to so....Wouldnt make alot of sense to have a huge party. BBQ and booze me baby, Im there.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT
    LeGaCyGiAnT Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    $125. Got our marriage license at the courthouse while on vacation in Myrtle Beach. It was the most relaxing wedding I have ever been to. We did have a friend that went with us (who got ordained prior to the trip) do a mini ceremony for us on our condo balcony... which was kind of cool :)