How much did your wedding cost?

2»

Replies

• cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    edited August 2019
    I was married for the first time right after my 60th birthday. Don't ask me why. I'm still contemplating that one. Anyway:

Dress $99.00. (which my Dad and Mom paid for by the way - so cute!!)
    Catered picnic and open bar for 20 people: I think about $2,000???? (we drank A LOT - LOL)
    Minister: $60.00
    Poolside venue: 0
    Flowers: $200
    Gifts for attendees: $100
    Key Lime Pies: (I'm not a cake fan) $100
    Invitations: 0 (mom made them)
    Music: 0 (brother-in-law's band provided)
    Honeymoon: 0 (still waiting....)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited August 2019
    I have spent a lot in money, yau and time on relatives and friends wedding planning, pre wedding events, engagement parties, hens nights & bucks parties, receptions and weddings.

Going the traditional route ( White Wedding, which means an island State one (bleh!)+ Cultural) is SPENDY. I know my mum wants to pay for it all, which will give her the opportunity to flex her financial muscle to my father's family . Shrugs. I will corral her though and limit her excesses to the traditional gifting and events (cultural), which I don't really need to be physically present for, should the opportunity present itself, allowing my man to have a say about how he wants it to be - the engagement, wedding & reception, as I am perfectly contented with a Las Vegas wedding and buffet at a Las Vegas hotel for catering or just the court house then dinner with my sister & selected friends .
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    The wedding itself, including clothes and food cost under $300. It wasn't the first marriage for either of us so we wanted something simple, casual and fun for everyone. The wedding was/is not as important to us as the marriage. We were travelling to Montana for a family reunion and secretly contacted my cousin who is an ordained minister and my aunt who was hosting the reunion. I bought a sun dress for me, hawaiian shirts for my husband and sons to wear. We had my aunt pick up custom cheesecakes that we ordered over the phone (the most expensive part of the whole wedding). They kept it a secret until the day of the ceremony. If they hadn't, it would have turned into My Big Fat Greek Wedding minus the Greek part. We said our vows in front of family on the shore of Holter Lake. It was inexpensive and meaningful. We spent quite a bit on the family vacation itself but not on the ceremony.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    The wedding itself, including clothes and food cost under $300. It wasn't the first marriage for either of us so we wanted something simple, casual and fun for everyone. The wedding was/is not as important to us as the marriage. We were travelling to Montana for a family reunion and secretly contacted my cousin who is an ordained minister and my aunt who was hosting the reunion. I bought a sun dress for me, hawaiian shirts for my husband and sons to wear. We had my aunt pick up custom cheesecakes that we ordered over the phone (the most expensive part of the whole wedding). They kept it a secret until the day of the ceremony. If they hadn't, it would have turned into My Big Fat Greek Wedding minus the Greek part. We said our vows in front of family on the shore of Holter Lake. It was inexpensive and meaningful. We spent quite a bit on the family vacation itself but not on the ceremony.

This made me smile.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Hell do I know.. only was told just to show up.. 😂
    was under $10k
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    My wife and I paid for all the tuxedo rentals, bride's maids dresses, venue, DJ, video and photography, etc. and there were about 230 people at our wedding. Now mind you this was 1998. $18,000 for everything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Just my soul.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Not sure about the Australian conversion, but that seems like a lot. We had a fairly simple wedding. Our costs are below in American dollars.

My dress:$500 dress, $180 for alterations.
    My husband and son's outfits: maybe $125.
    Wedding/reception venue: $400
    Catering: $1800
    Photographer: $500
    DJ: $800
    Cake: $350
    Decorations: maybe $100.

Total cost: ~$5000.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    60 bucks to the jp, about 60 bucks at joe's crab shack afterwards. so 120...180 if you count the bag of weed we celebrated with. high class all the way.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    about 8k.
    most of it was food
    second was the photographer
    it would have been less but the groom was a bit of a groomzilla.
    we did the honeymoon for about 1.5k
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited August 2019
    I was married for the first time right after my 60th birthday. Don't ask me why. I'm still contemplating that one.

Is it bad that I laugh everytime you say this? I'm wondering what happened after saying I do to make you feel this way? 🤔

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm a real cheapskate always so keep that in mind.

First wedding (2002) my fiance and I were young & couldn't afford a lot.
    My dad would have paid for a large church wedding but I am not religious and was not interested.
    We wound up with a small wedding at a B&B, the entire package was under $1k and it was honestly very nice. The theme was 40's/swing so it's cheesy looking back but in 2002 it was kind of neat.
    I borrowed a friend's ~$800 dress so that was pretty cool too, and I only had a MOH and found her outfit on clearance for less than $100.
    We had a larger reception later w/ a lot of favors & decorations, but I'd say everything total it was maybe $2500.

Second time around (2013), my husband and I both wanted to elope so we did it ourselves (legal in Colorado) at Garden of the Gods. It was awesome. We made it into a 4 day long weekend and spent a bit under $1k total including travel/lodging, sightseeing, 2 fancy dinners, etc.

I do NOT like weddings, to be honest. I strongly prefer the intimacy of an elopement. But it's kind of funny, because I am thought of in my friend circle as the go to person for wedding planning, theme-y decorations, hair/makeup, etc.

ETA: USD
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Married a couple years ago, 10k US Dollars for about 45 guests. My dress was 950 including alterations but I don't normally spoil myself so i figured if not with wedding dress then when?
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    edited August 2019
    2001 American Dollars

My Dress: $500, His suit: $40. Our wedding party paid for their own clothes, I just gave them an idea and they picked what they wanted.
    Our rings: $200
    Flowers: $0 (my grandma made them, her gift to us)
    Cake: $40 (a friend of his family made this and only charged us a little) We didn't have any food other than the cake. We had punch that his mom made but that didn't cost us anything.
    Minister: $25 (friend of his family)
    Decorations: $50-$100 (all bought on clearance)
    Church: $30
    Music: $0 (CD, friend ran it)
    Marriage License: $25

Total: Less than $1,000

We didn't have a honeymoon.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    American Dollars 2014

Engagement ring - $5500

Wedding - totaled about 18,000 for 70 people
    I don't remember the break down of everything exactly but I do remember my dress being ~1300. I have mixed feelings about the dress, seems obsurdly expensive but I did really like it.

The rest seems pretty expensive but I am not sure I would change much about it either, most of the cost was venue, food, and open bar which was all a package from the venue. We selected the venue because it was a hotel with a nice outdoor ceremony location close to where we lived, and since 90% of our guests came in from out of town I really didn't want to have to run people all around to get to the ceremony and reception.

Now, if I ignored my mother and cut %75 of my guest list to only people I really care about we could have gotten off way cheaper and easier. But it was the first wedding for one of her children, so yeah.....
  • RunDesprate
    RunDesprate Posts: 63 Member
    More expensive. How much did your divorce cost you?
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Our wedding cost around $25,000 and we live in Canada. My dress was on sale and cost around $1250 for the dress and veil. We got married at an outdoor garden venue and had our reception at a country club. We only had 75 guests and while we had a great day, I would go to a Sandal's resort and have a close family and friends wedding if I could go back. The in-laws were very involved and invited some of their friends which wasn't ideal. If it was up to me it would've been a lot cheaper and smaller.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Helois3 wrote: »
    More expensive. How much did your divorce cost you?

not always...mine was $550.
    No kids, of course, but there was real estate involved.