Please tell me if my math is right

Options
So I've lost 6.4 lbs in 5 weeks. That means I'm losing 1.28lbs/week.
1.28lbs x 3,500cals = 4,480
4,480 ÷ 7 days a week = 640
So I add 640 to my average calories I've been eating the last 5 weeks and that is my tdee?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    So I add 640 to my average calories I've been eating the last 5 weeks and that is my tdee?

That is correct.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    The math is good, but a 5 week sample size can still have some water weight fluctuations that could be influencing the results

This is true. Just wanted to add my 2 cents that my data set did not become truly accurate until I had three complete months of data. Better still, from an accuracy perspective, is to omit the first month from the calculation, start counting in week 5, and accumulate 2 full months of data.

There is a lot going on in the first 3-4 weeks of a diet with water loss/retention that can never be fully ironed out of the data set, if the goal is true TDEE accuracy. In time, the impact of those early fluctuations will diminish as the data set grows, but it's best to just start the clock ticking around week 4 or 5.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    The math is good, but a 5 week sample size can still have some water weight fluctuations that could be influencing the results

This is true. Just wanted to add my 2 cents that my data set did not become truly accurate until I had three complete months of data. Better still, from an accuracy perspective, is to omit the first month from the calculation, start counting in week 5, and accumulate 2 full months of data.

There is a lot going on in the first 3-4 weeks of a diet with water loss/retention that can never be fully ironed out of the data set, if the goal is true TDEE accuracy. In time, the impact of those early fluctuations will diminish as the data set grows, but it's best to just start the clock ticking around week 4 or 5.

Thank you. I thought the numbers were right, but wasn't sure about my method. This is very helpful.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options

Fluctuations are even more probable for someone who's a premenopausal female (I'm not sure whether OP is or not). A couple of full menstrual cycles would be a good plan, with that idea of yours about dropping the first one making 3 cycles even more useful. (Cycles might correlate with months, but not for everyone.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options

When I go to work, there are always donuts in the break room, and the company but a lot of high calorie drinks. A lot of my coworkers complain about wanting to lose weight, but say being heavy is just in their genes and there's nothing they can do about it.

Just wanted to give you some perspective on how much you're rocking it. 😎

This is the first time I've been able to see how tracking every crumb can actually be helpful.
    This has made me more determined than ever to keep measuring and logging everything!

This is so Awesome. This is when weight management truly becomes manageable.

Well done on all of it. :)
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Fluctuations are even more probable for someone who's a premenopausal female (I'm not sure whether OP is or not). A couple of full menstrual cycles would be a good plan, with that idea of yours about dropping the first one making 3 cycles even more useful. (Cycles might correlate with months, but not for everyone.)

That is a great point. I do have several more months to go, so I'll have plenty of data going into maintenance.
    I really never used my data for anything besides tracking daily calories before, so I really just wanted to see if I was using the right method for calculating.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That is a great point. I do have several more months to go, so I'll have plenty of data going into maintenance.
    I really never used my data for anything besides tracking daily calories before, so I really just wanted to see if I was using the right method for calculating.

You got it!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options

When I go to work, there are always donuts in the break room, and the company but a lot of high calorie drinks. A lot of my coworkers complain about wanting to lose weight, but say being heavy is just in their genes and there's nothing they can do about it.

Just wanted to give you some perspective on how much you're rocking it. 😎

This is the first time I've been able to see how tracking every crumb can actually be helpful.
    This has made me more determined than ever to keep measuring and logging everything!

This is so Awesome. This is when weight management truly becomes manageable.

Well done on all of it. :)

QFT.