Ddiscouraged but determined

Options
montyeva1114
montyeva1114 Posts: 78 Member
edited August 2019 in Motivation and Support
I’m not losing weight. I gained 5 ounces since last weigh in. Seriously... I need to eat less than 1500 calories ! Maybe with my thyroid condition and menopause, that’s just it. I realize it’s only been two weeks. I did lose 2 lbs week one. In the past I’d have lost 5 lbs by now. Don’t worry, I need to do this!! It’s 1400 calories starting today. I always exercise, but I’m going to try and up it a bit.

Replies

• montyeva1114
    Options
    Thank you for the insights. I’m definitely not giving up.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid and am post menopausal. It's definitely not easy.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Vent away, but just know that consistency and determination WILL pay off. You just have to be a little more stubborn than your body. It doesn't get put on overnight and it won't come off overnight.

I will say that I lose WAY easier if I am making an attempt to drink as much water as I can so if that by any chance is something you aren't doing, that could be an easy assist to the healthy choice you're already making.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Don’t change your calorie target based on a single weigh-in number, especially since you’re only two weeks in. Water weight fluctuations easily account for a tiny 5 oz difference on the scale. Doesn’t mean you’re not losing fat.

Stay the course, be consistent and accurate with your 1500 calories, use a food scale, and view each weigh-in as the single data-point it is (not the be-all-end-all self-defining Weight you are viewing it as now). Your weight trend over the past 6 weeks is what matters, not the individual weights on the scale over the past week or two.

There is an awesome and eye-opening thread on here called something like “the wild and crazy world of weight fluctuations” that you should search out and read.

That would be this:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

also, just to add (this is from the Sticky posts in General Weight Loss)

Infographic/flow chart:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10179969/weight-loss-flow-chart-2-0/p1

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    I'm also post-menopausal and severely hypothyroid. These are not universal weight loss doom**.

Following the process will work. At worst, we need slightly more movement calories, or slightly fewer food calories than differently-situated people (less than 5% difference, for hypothyroidism, for example, based on clinical research; aging effect, statistically is something in the vicinity of 5 BMR calories per day per year of age, for an average-sized woman).

Mostly, what changes as we age is muscle mass, and daily life activity level***. The good news is, both of those are factors over which we have significant influence or control.

The first month of weight loss is very likely to be a bit of a roller-coaster on the scale. Different people see different patterns, but the initial weeks can be misleading. I'd encourage you to stay the course for at least 4-6 weeks, and even then be more attentive to what you're seeing on average in the latter 2-4 weeks of that. Then it may make sense to adjust.

Believe me, I know that too-slow weight loss can be frustrating. But too-fast weight loss can be a health risk, and cutting calories overmuch can lead to fatigue, then inactivity, then further reduced calorie expenditure, which is counterproductive. (This is not some kind of mysterious "starvation mode" or "metabolic damage" that prevents weight loss: It's just resting more and moving less, perhaps in subtle ways, so slowing down progress.)

One of the things that can be good about aging, is that we come to know ourselves better, both our strengths and weaknesses, and know how to use those (even game them) to accomplish our goals. One common (though not universal) advantage with age is patience. ;)

Best wishes! :flowerforyou:

** I lost nearly 1/3 of my bodyweight at age 59-60, and have stayed at a healthy weight for nearly 4 years since, after decades of obesity. You can do this!

*** Try this thread for thoughts about activity level: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • montyeva1114
    Options
    Thank you for the good advice. Water drinking is difficult and always has been because I don’t get thirsty. I do carry water at all times and force myself to drink it. I also agree that sticking to 1500 calories is more realistic. I need the energy to do all I do each day. I exercise 30 minutes to an hour each day. I do that for my sanity and to counter the 1 hour 15 minute commute each way to work. I’m not quitting. It’s sure nice to have a place to vent.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Vent away :) stick with it because slow works...eventually. All the best.
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Slow progress is still progress :)
  • joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Oh my lord...reading your post was like I wrote it myself this morning. I find I keep repeating to myself “just stick with it” and pray that numbers will eventually drop and more importantly that my fitness and body transform. But I’m super frustrated today. I did drink lots of Clamato this weekend though so I’m almost thinking it may be that I just had too much sodium and the scale will drop in a couple days.that may be an issue you should keep an eye on. Let’s keep it going! Don’t give up:)
  • montyeva1114
    Options
    I’m listening to everything everybody has been writing, but the truth of the matter is that the scale still carries a great deal of power over how I feel. Down a pound, I’m overjoyed. Up an ounce or two, I’ve failed. But one thing I’m sure of, quitting and giving into using food as a comfort will definitely lead to weight gain. The truth is that it’s taken me 4 years to gain the weight; there’s no way I can lose it quickly. I’m not 20 anymore!!!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I’m listening to everything everybody has been writing, but the truth of the matter is that the scale still carries a great deal of power over how I feel. Down a pound, I’m overjoyed. Up an ounce or two, I’ve failed. But one thing I’m sure of, quitting and giving into using food as a comfort will definitely lead to weight gain. The truth is that it’s taken me 4 years to gain the weight; there’s no way I can lose it quickly. I’m not 20 anymore!!!

I have spent more time on "discouraged list" than I care to talk about! Please trust me and don't despair, the right combination of events and motivations to turn things around IS out there. You've just got to find it and latch on to it for all you're worth. With me, it was finally acknowledging and addressing my mobility issues (I had both hips replaced this year) and once through rehab and PT, I have been "locked in" and I haven'tlooked back and results have been fantastic! I wish you well and hope you find your combination of events 🙂
  • lillyblack1982
    lillyblack1982 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you only weigh once a week? I weigh daily and although I’m still more invested in the number than I should be, I see it go up 3 pounds some days for no apparent reason, then come back down over several days. After seeing this happen a few times I find it much less alarming. The over all trend is a loss, although a slow one. I want to see a lower number every time but that’s not how it works. It’s hard to be patient but that’s part of the process.
  • montyeva1114
    Options
    I know you are right! I’m debating between once a week or daily weigh ins.