Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should television advertising of fast food / high sugar foods be permitted?

Copper_Boom
Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
I’m inclined to say that since Joe Camel doesn’t grace our television screens, the fast food and breakfast cereal commercials should get lost as well.
What do you think?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Fast food and high sugar items, despite what some people will have you believe, are not actually addictive substances, in the way that cigarettes are. And as @kimny72 said, they are not necessarily unhealthy in and of themselves. Only when consumed to excess as a contributing factor to obesity.

I would consider being supportive of limitations on certain types of advertising that are specifically advertised on and targeted towards children. I think that would be prudent. But considering alcoholic beverages can still be advertised on general programming, I don't see any reason why fast food and sugary food shouldn't.

I was going to say exactly this.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    But where would you draw the line? You can't advertise anything that's not "healthy"? By whose standards? Do you really believe that advertising should be banned on alcohol, products with artificial sweeteners (which some people think are unhealthy)? Anything that has too much sugar, fat, calories by some random standard? What about advertising "unhealthy" habits, like gambling? Only "whole" or "clean" foods would be allowed to be advertised?

Sorry, but no. Businesses have a right to promote their products, even if you don't think they are in peoples best interests.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I wouldn't support a ban. But I would support a requirement that food companies must show the food looking as it is typically served, instead of the dressing up they do for TV commercials. Imagine if they showed a Whopper they way you actually get it: squished bun, patty halfway sliding off, condiments awkwardly all on one side of sandwich.

Or cereal commercials with a huge bowl Coco Puffs filled with milk.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    So we're keeping television programming and discussing banning advertisements? Seems logical.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    LOL :D
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Prohibited? No. But I'd be fine with them showing actual serving sizes and calorie counts.

This strikes me as a most interesting solution. I'm not sure how much it would impact people - I'm of the belief most people haven't internalized calories enough to effortless understand what a number means, and that a lot of MFP can't remember their own naivete when they discuss this as a solution. Regardless, I think it would be very interesting to have this required on screen similar to a surgeon general's warning - a little black and white box that's say at least 15% of the screen that lists the calories every time a meal is shown, smaller disclaimer text allowed when they have selected a diet drink for the picture.
    I would wonder if over time people would gain a bit more calorie awareness, or if they would just mentally tune out that part of the picture.