Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Should television advertising of fast food / high sugar foods be permitted?

Copper_BoomCopper_Boom Posts: 77Member Member Posts: 77Member Member
I’m inclined to say that since Joe Camel doesn’t grace our television screens, the fast food and breakfast cereal commercials should get lost as well.
What do you think?

Replies

• lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 3,144Member Member Posts: 3,144Member Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Fast food and high sugar items, despite what some people will have you believe, are not actually addictive substances, in the way that cigarettes are. And as @kimny72 said, they are not necessarily unhealthy in and of themselves. Only when consumed to excess as a contributing factor to obesity.

I would consider being supportive of limitations on certain types of advertising that are specifically advertised on and targeted towards children. I think that would be prudent. But considering alcoholic beverages can still be advertised on general programming, I don't see any reason why fast food and sugary food shouldn't.

I was going to say exactly this.
  • lgfrielgfrie Posts: 352Member, Premium Member Posts: 352Member, Premium Member
    Almost anything that's sold can have a bad effect or outcome for someone. I prefer to live in a non-banning society. What's fast food, anyway? Chick Fil A has salads; should Chick Fil A be banned from advertising? Chipotle? Where do you draw the line? Are beer commercials OK? It's best to permit as much as possible, imho. Who gets to decide what gets banned, and based on what? What happens when we get our first Keto president - will Panera be banned from advertising on TV?

Cigarettes were and are a different story; those are just death sticks and the individual and societal cost of having a nation of 50 % adult smokers was so egregiously gigantic that something had to be done. Nothing else that's currently advertised even remotely rises to that standard. Cigarette advertising was like having advertisements for suicide, targeted at young, impressionable people; it just had to stop.
    edited September 1
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 11,859Member Member Posts: 11,859Member Member
    I don't particularly want government regulation to stand in for my mommy and daddy, with respect to products that are safe and reasonable if I consume them like a responsible grown-up.

And before anyone even says it, actual children ought to have a responsible grown-up in the picture, too, when it comes to purchasing decisions about the majority of their dietary intake. If they lack that oversight, we can't fix the consequences by regulating food advertising.
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Posts: 1,084Member Member Posts: 1,084Member Member
    But where would you draw the line? You can't advertise anything that's not "healthy"? By whose standards? Do you really believe that advertising should be banned on alcohol, products with artificial sweeteners (which some people think are unhealthy)? Anything that has too much sugar, fat, calories by some random standard? What about advertising "unhealthy" habits, like gambling? Only "whole" or "clean" foods would be allowed to be advertised?

Sorry, but no. Businesses have a right to promote their products, even if you don't think they are in peoples best interests.
  • Annie_01Annie_01 Posts: 2,994Member Member Posts: 2,994Member Member
    What about automobiles? Over 100 people a day in the US die from car crashes. Just like fast food and "sweets" the automobiles don't cause deaths (or injuries) it is the only when there is no self control and care given that these items become part of the picture. Guess what did play a roll...alcohol. So ban automobile ads...alcohol ads and don't forget the ads about "Joe's Bar" because it might encourage people to drink and drive.

As for the children...my parents had no problem saying "no" nor did I when mine were growing up. They nor I didn't depend on others to discipline nor teach me right from wrong. When a tv show came on that they didn't think we children should watch...they turned off the tv.

• MotorsheenMotorsheen Posts: 14,582Member Member Posts: 14,582Member Member
    I reckon that we should ban most everything... and then work our way back up.

Or..... maybe allow everything, then those of us who are left standing can sort it out.

Dunno.
  • L1zardQueenL1zardQueen Posts: 7,199Member Member Posts: 7,199Member Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I wouldn't support a ban. But I would support a requirement that food companies must show the food looking as it is typically served, instead of the dressing up they do for TV commercials. Imagine if they showed a Whopper they way you actually get it: squished bun, patty halfway sliding off, condiments awkwardly all on one side of sandwich.

Or cereal commercials with a huge bowl Coco Puffs filled with milk.