What’s the next diet trend?

Options
It used to be low fat. Then it became low carb. And intermittent fasting. And over the last few years you have seen the vegan group surface. I am wondering what the next big one will be. Low fat, low carb, low sugar, low calories and even low protein for that matter have all been covered. I’m wondering what the next big thing is gonna be. I don’t think keto can last forever.

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Haha, good question! I guess we will see. I'd be interested to see if anyone has any ideas.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    What about a raw meat diet or does that already exist, too? 😩
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    About time for a new acv, cabbage soup, etc diet to come along, isn’t it?
    Pick your food.
    I’d choose a hot dog diet. I’d really like that!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Already a thing. Hardcore keto-ers do the Carnivore diet, some eating only raw meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxgYeWaVBK0
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    How about Pegan? The paleo/vegetarian combo diet? Haven't seen that one posted much yet.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Paleo did it! Some extreme offshoots of Paleo did raw meat.

I don't even know anymore. Low carb was a natural progression for Paleo, but right now I don't know what the natural progression out of low carb would be. Trends that stick around for a while are usually either a progression or a reaction, like the Atkins era was a reaction to the low fat mainstream and IF was a reaction to "breakfast is the most important meal of the day". Are we going back to low fat? I don't see that happening any time soon. Maybe something like intuitive eating would gain more traction since being fat is more and more acceptable now? Or a diet that advocates less meat because meat alternatives are getting better and better? I really don't know.
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    ^Yes please.

I remember reading as a kid about "fruitarians" (basically vegan except you only eat the fruits of plants, thereby not killing the plant itself) and I keep thinking it's only a matter of time before that manages to be the next big thing.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Loving my "fad diet". Carnivore keto geek reporting in. Plus an OMAD'er. WE are as crazy as people think we are. (yes, even the standard keto and 16:8 intermittent fasters think we Omad carnivore keto'ers are out of our minds.) But we look good. ;)
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    @apriltrainer "but we look good"

I think I just peed myself. 😂
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I want to write the book and make a fortune!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I don't think Keto is going anywhere anytime soon. When I first came back here about a year ago, I hadn't heard about Keto except on this board. Now I see my Facebook friends posting about it. I dont think it's reached its peak yet.

The other big thing that is coming plant-dier/meat replacements. That is taking off big time, and only looks to explode in the next several years. I don't know if you can really call it a "diet trend", because the people who eat them still sometimes eat meat, but I do think that people eating plant based replacements for meat is the next "thing"
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The eat dirt diet. Not kidding.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    That makes way too much sense and, in this instant gratification society we live in, would never get off the ground. 😉
  • biggiwig4483
    biggiwig4483 Posts: 90 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I don't think Keto is going anywhere anytime soon. When I first came back here about a year ago, I hadn't heard about Keto except on this board. Now I see my Facebook friends posting about it. "

Keto-Diet is actually almost 100 years old but it was not meant to be a weight loss diet first.