Inexplicable weight gain

Options
2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @nxd10 I admit to being surprised by your comment indicating that a 5lb loss and 3lb regain associated with starting and stopping a time period of eating low(er) carb was not expected.

If one practices low carb eating as a method of controlling calories I would expect one to be aware that weight fluctuations when starting and interrupting low carb eating are mostly due to glycogen loss and regain.

Glycogen loss and regain have nothing to do with fat reserve changes and would be classified as lean mass changes, if anything.

And in the context of someone eating lower carb long-term I would just consider them water weight fluctuations..

Agreed, and don't forget stomach content weight.
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I do think it's water. That's my point. I never thought that I could gain 10 pounds in fat in four days eating normal meals. It is water. I just don't know why I can't shed it after I return from traveling and a higher carb/higher salt diet. I always could. It has taken longer and longer. Now I simply can't.

The answer is, I have to stay on a paleo-like diet at this point in my life.

but if you know its only water and not fat gain, then there's not really an issue - maybe throw the scales out? I know I am tempted to do away with mine.

Been tempted to put mine away as well in this point of my "adventure", but alas, habits! or Hobbits? hmmm? ;) Lol
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I do think it's water. That's my point. I never thought that I could gain 10 pounds in fat in four days eating normal meals. It is water. I just don't know why I can't shed it after I return from traveling and a higher carb/higher salt diet. I always could. It has taken longer and longer. Now I simply can't.

The answer is, I have to stay on a paleo-like diet at this point in my life.

Well, that's up to you. Nothing wrong with it, just don't have to be as strict I think. The "paleo", yeah ok not really paleolithic, anyways. Is just a lower reward, higher protein, moderate carb diet that is restrictive. You could just put your own barriers to "trouble" foods. JMHO