starting again and needing help and support

Hello, my name is Evan. I have been struggling with my weight for well over 20 years. I have dealt with compulsive bing eating and depression and other mental health problems that led me to put the weight on more. Long story short while dealing with all this my problems with weight got bigger and bigger. Also through out of this time I have made several attempts at losing the weight. It would all be the same I would lost a pretty good amount of weight and then just gain it back. I am currently 31 and at my worst. I weighed in today at 540. My health is absolutly ruined. I am on disability. The pain prevents me from sitting or standing for more than five mins. I am losing my mobility. It affects all aspects of my life, social, financial, health, emotional, etc. Long story short my doctor told me the other day that I had to go for the weight loss surgery or I would not make it to forty. This terrified me. I decided and convinced her that I would try losing weight on my own before i resort to surgery. I gave myself a time frame of a year and if I don't make progress I would have to try to get approved for surgery. I decided with her I would use this app and do at least fifteen mins of some sort of excersize daily for now. Anyway long story short due ot transportation issues and payment issues i don't have any support of a therapist trained in binge eating or a dietician trained in binge eating. I am turning here for support. I don' thave family or friends support eithor, and I know i can't do this alone. I would love to have some friends on here that we could keep each other motivated and held accountable. Maybe even chat from time to time. Anyway, thanks for listening. Feel free to send a message or friend request. Thanks!

Replies

• skinnytacular
    skinnytacular Posts: 159 Member
    The yo yo struggle sounds so familiar to me. Come consider joining us in the "serial starters" thread. I started posting in there about a month ago--really friendly, supportive people in that thread, but not too overwhelming.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I have a group for people who are starting or have started with 75 or more pounds to lose. We approach weight loss through a sensible and sustainable approach.

I was getting too close to losing my own mobility. I suffered in pain when I stood for ~10 minutes. I have lost more than 2/3's of the amount of weight I need to lose and I have already greatly unlocked my freedom from the cage of fat I was stuck in. I have not done it perfectly. I have slipped many times but when I made the choice that mistakes were okay to make as long as I didn't quit it made all the difference.

You can do it and you can do it without surgery.

The group name is Larger Losers and here is the link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    ehartweg wrote: »
    Hello, my name is Evan. I have been struggling with my weight for well over 20 years. I have dealt with compulsive bing eating and depression and other mental health problems that led me to put the weight on more. Long story short while dealing with all this my problems with weight got bigger and bigger. Also through out of this time I have made several attempts at losing the weight. It would all be the same I would lost a pretty good amount of weight and then just gain it back. I am currently 31 and at my worst. I weighed in today at 540. My health is absolutly ruined. I am on disability. The pain prevents me from sitting or standing for more than five mins. I am losing my mobility. It affects all aspects of my life, social, financial, health, emotional, etc. Long story short my doctor told me the other day that I had to go for the weight loss surgery or I would not make it to forty. This terrified me. I decided and convinced her that I would try losing weight on my own before i resort to surgery. I gave myself a time frame of a year and if I don't make progress I would have to try to get approved for surgery. I decided with her I would use this app and do at least fifteen mins of some sort of excersize daily for now. Anyway long story short due ot transportation issues and payment issues i don't have any support of a therapist trained in binge eating or a dietician trained in binge eating. I am turning here for support. I don' thave family or friends support eithor, and I know i can't do this alone. I would love to have some friends on here that we could keep each other motivated and held accountable. Maybe even chat from time to time. Anyway, thanks for listening. Feel free to send a message or friend request. Thanks!

*** WARNING *** JUST PERSONAL OPINION AND MAY TRIGGER SOME PEOPLE! READING WARNING!

First off, I feel your pain, I am a 400+ pound man in recovery. Went to that weight by 33. I had many of the health issues you speak of and had MD talk of surgery. Decided one day, I am going to lose weight. Dropped 70lbs the first year just changing dietary and moving a little. Events happened and I decided to lose faster, because you know, "quicker is better!". That was my thought then. Actually dropped to a low of 175 and sub 10% bf. Developed massive hunger and hormonal issues I am still dealing with today. Sent me down 2 years of maintenance hell! I have recently decided to gain weight back. Yeah, gets woo's from others, but this is my life! I have been down 2 years of research as well. Worked with a coach, one of the best IMHO, and have a broad knowledge base. I tend to buck what the mainstream says about "goal" weights and lifestyle. If you are interested in me telling you some of the things I have learned, send me a message. If not, safe journeys my friend!
  • inkedShimewaza
    inkedShimewaza Posts: 536 Member
    I can absolutely relate. I deal with OCD & depression among other issues. OCD is extremely conducive to the yo-yo syndrome. I can lose weight good and fast and I can gain weight good and fast. I have never been able to maintain once I get to a healthy weight. I am currently on way back down after letting myself slide up to 300 lbs. I'm down about 18 lbs in August through a combination of super strict dieting, walking, and strength training. My short term goal is to get back down to 250 and my long term goal is to be at a ripped 200lbs. I have no doubt that I can get there, but worry about what will happen once I do.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Welcome Evan!
    You have taken a really positive step today and in coming here you have found many new friends who really understand some of what you are going through.

There is good advice on here (do look at the 'getting started' advice) and some terrible advice too (that usually comes from individuals - and often those with something to sell to you!).

My advice would be
    -to take some time to read things here and to think carefully about how you are to approach this task.
    -Setting yourself small goals is often a great help. (Losing 10lb - losing 10% of your weight - fitting into one size smaller - being able to stand/walk 5 mins further...) Write these down and tick them off.
    -Thinking about what makes you binge and what makes your weight go up would be helpful in planning how to counter these things.
    - think about small changes you can make (like your 15 mins of gentle exercise). Don't think that change has to be BIG to have an effect :).
    - choose a way of eating that you can sustain and which fits in with a life-style you can live with forever. (So don't pick a style that seems the best but will be unbearable after a few weeks.)There are so many ways to lose weight! They are mostly right ways - but not all are for everyone. We are very individual and eating is a big part of our lives.
    - It didn't take a few weeks to put on the pounds... so don't expect that they will disappear in a few weeks.

There is no rush. Every tiny step in the right direction is a win.
    All the best for your efforts. Let us all know how you do.
    (You are welcome to add me as a friend if you wish. Friends make this task much easier.)
  • We are all here for the same reason, to lose weight and to feel better! Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • neilwij
    neilwij Posts: 1,634 Member
    Hello buddy, you've taken a very positive step of coming on here and asking for support. You are in the best place for advice and support. As one of the above posters said its all about little changes here and there, start very light in regards to workout and then gradually build upon it. Be patient and be consistent, there is no rush. In coming on this forum you are already one step better off than you were last week. We're all here for the same thing ..to improve ourselves one way or another.

You will get there my friend, it can be a difficult road, there will be ups and there will be downs, but the journey will be worth it. Trust me. You will get there. :)

Also just to add, Im no fitness expert but if you would like support I can offer this. Add me if you want pal.