Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Protein powder

rahimljrahimlj Posts: 196Member Member Posts: 196Member Member
I got protein yesterday from Walmart. Yes I decided to be lazy and get a crappier brand than usual. I've had cookies and cream but it was muscle Pharm. This one was six star. It smells a bit off but also tastes slightly funny. Could it have gone bad? Expiry is 2021. Is it bad to keep it? Not sure if anyone else tried this one and if that's how it tastes. Not worth going back to Walmart and returning but just wondering if it's okay to use.

Replies

• neugebauer52neugebauer52 Posts: 1,015Member Member Posts: 1,015Member Member
    Return it and eat carbs / fat / protein as provided by nature. I find that "6 star" comment interesting - how many stars are there supposed to be in the protein system? 8 ? 10 ? If 10 - then the product has a mediocre 60 %. Protein in eggs etc. always has a 100 % "protein star grading".... :)
  • JBanx256JBanx256 Posts: 473Member Member Posts: 473Member Member
    Return it and eat carbs / fat / protein as provided by nature. I find that "6 star" comment interesting - how many stars are there supposed to be in the protein system? 8 ? 10 ? If 10 - then the product has a mediocre 60 %. Protein in eggs etc. always has a 100 % "protein star grading".... :)

Six Star is a brand, not a rating.
  • GaryRunsGaryRuns Posts: 263Member, Premium Member Posts: 263Member, Premium Member
    Generally dry items don't go bad unless moisture makes it's way in. Was the seal good when you opened it and/or is there any sign that moisture crept in?

I get that very same protein powder from Costco and the stuff is like the finest wine compared to some of the other protein powders I've tried, at least taste wise. Costco also sells Gold Standard. Pretty sure roaches won't eat that *kitten*! lol
  • quiksylver296quiksylver296 Posts: 25,774Member Member Posts: 25,774Member Member
    I have MP Cookies and Cream at home right now. It doesn't smell bad or taste funny. Return it.
  • rahimljrahimlj Posts: 196Member Member Posts: 196Member Member

Haha thanks. Six star is actually the name of the brand lmao. thanks 👌
    I have MP Cookies and Cream at home right now. It doesn't smell bad or taste funny. Return it.

Ah okay. This one was the six star brand. Mp usually has never smelled for me. Maybe next time I'll get mp again thanks. Just saw these posts.
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    Generally dry items don't go bad unless moisture makes it's way in. Was the seal good when you opened it and/or is there any sign that moisture crept in?

I get that very same protein powder from Costco and the stuff is like the finest wine compared to some of the other protein powders I've tried, at least taste wise. Costco also sells Gold Standard. Pretty sure roaches won't eat that *kitten*! lol

Hey. Muscle Pharm is a good one that I've used. The one that smelled was actually the six star brand from Walmart. It seemed there was no moisture. I basically stopped using the Walmart one for the most part and will probably go back to using MP. Probably the best one I've had.
    JBanx256 wrote: »

Six Star is a brand, not a rating.

Haha exactly 👌
  • notapilgrimnotapilgrim Posts: 91Member Member Posts: 91Member Member
    Cheap protein powders often have cheap ingredients and an off taste. I would avoid Wal-Mart, Grocery Outlet, etal.
    edited December 3
  • Swoleisthegoal4311Swoleisthegoal4311 Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    Protein powder is honestly a sham. Too many sugars and artificial flavoring whether it's muscle milk or optimum nutrition. My suggestion: two cups PASTEURIZED egg whites or one cup 2 cups = 50 g of protein 1 cup = 25g (the cartons from the store) 1/2 cup oats 2 table spoons peanut butter a banana and some coco power. You now have around 40-70g of protein depending on how much egg white you've used in a super healthy drink.
    edited December 4
  • sardelsasardelsa Posts: 8,442Member Member Posts: 8,442Member Member
    Protein powder is honestly a sham. Too many sugars and artificial flavoring whether it's muscle milk or optimum nutrition. My suggestion: two cups PASTEURIZED egg whites or one cup 2 cups = 50 g of protein 1 cup = 25g (the cartons from the store) 1/2 cup oats 2 table spoons peanut butter a banana and some coco power. You now have around 40-70g of protein depending on how much egg white you've used in a super healthy drink.

My protein powder has no flavours or sugars, it's just whey.

Also I have heard studies where the raw egg protein was not as digestible and significantly less vs cooked egg. I would be mindful of that.
  • Justin_7272Justin_7272 Posts: 205Member Member Posts: 205Member Member
    Protein powder is honestly a sham. Too many sugars and artificial flavoring

Sham; a thing that is not what it is purported to be.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's a sham. Now if you think they're lying about the nutritional value that's another story, but the well-established brands are well-established for a reason; because they're legit.