Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Why is so little attention given to maintenance?

dashagrrdashagrr Posts: 42Member Member Posts: 42Member Member
Over the years, I have found it easy to lose weight when I set out to do so, but I eventually regain it. I don't want to do this cycle anymore. I know if I could keep the motivation going, I can do this. I think I (and the other maintainers) could use more social support for long term success. This community is great, but even here, the "Goal: Maintaining Weight" is one of the least active boards. I am in several support groups on FB, I tried finding a support group for people that have reached their weight and maintaining, but no avail (maybe I am not using the right keywords? Is anyone aware of one?) There are tons of weight loss groups. Anyway, why there is so little social attention given to the maintenance stage, given how hard it is? Isn't the long term success rate only 5 to 20 %?

Replies

• Jubee13Jubee13 Posts: 122Member Member Posts: 122Member Member
    I don't find it as hard as losing. I can eat a lot more.

I still log food and I still step on the body weight scale. For me those two things are non-negotiable. I've been at my maintenance weight for over ten years after losing 70+ pounds. When I stop logging food, I start putting on the weight, so it's just something I'm going to have to continue to do.

I've been on this site for all that time too, except for a few months here and there when I didn't log and/or got burned out on the forums. If I stay plugged in here I tend to keep it a priority. Seeing all these people trying and succeeding is a big factor.

Can you post in other peoples' threads and give help to those who struggle? It's a good way to stay plugged into the process.

I got rid of all my larger sized clothing, too. That is an important thing.

I have a question for you. When you say you log, do you weigh and measure everything? I’ve been maintaining for 5 months, and I still weigh everything to the gram. I’d really like to start estimating some things, but I’m not sure it’s a smart idea. I’m just so tired of dragging out that food scale!
  • dlmciverdlmciver Posts: 141Member, Premium Member Posts: 141Member, Premium Member
  • neugebauer52neugebauer52 Posts: 990Member Member Posts: 990Member Member
    I would say because about 10 % of the world's population carries their ideal weight - and therefore is on "maintenance". The rest is just about starving to death or........ (which includes me!) :)
    edited September 5
  • StargazerBStargazerB Posts: 326Member Member Posts: 326Member Member
    I've been maintaining for about 2.5 years. I've had some small gains and drops over that time. Feel free to add me for support.