What do you do when you’re emotionally spent?

Hannahwalksfar
Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
edited September 2019 in Chit-Chat
I’m really emotionally exhausted today. I have nothing. Really bad week just piled on top of me. I was meant to work out today and I just didn’t have it in me. Instead I took myself out for coffee and a sandwich at my friend’s cafe and we sat and chatted. I nearly broke down in there but composed myself. I normally come home and decompress by watching a movie but to top it off my computer is updating super slow so I can’t even do that. I’m now just browsing on my phone but it got me thinking and wondering what others do when they need to decompress. So, what are your methods of self-care when you are emotionally wrecked?

Replies

• weatherwoman94
    weatherwoman94 Posts: 14 Member
    edited September 2019
    I feel emotionally wrecked too. It's good to have a conversation and share whatever is on your mind. It alleviates stress and you're not dealing with it alone or unheard. I think feeling emotionally spent draws attention to communication issues I have and it inspires me to talk more. I get out of my head where things always look worse. My perspectives tend to be pretty negative.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    I find it helps to write everything down. Or just play sad songs on Spotify and cry alone in the kitchen. The writing is definitely the healthier option!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Writing is a good way to work through something troubling. If I'm just mentally and emotionally drained I like to get out of my own head and into a book. Preferably out in my back yard. Alone. It's really important to avoid contact with other people until I regain my equilibrium.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I feel like I’m just completely run dry atm. I don’t have the energy for anything. I might go to bed lol. I’m so glad you all have your go to coping methods.
  • cazikiz
    cazikiz Posts: 5 Member
    Same! But I eat well daily and I'm fit and healthy so I know it's not 'real' exhaustion and I will force myself out to be around people.
    The ideal situation is either go cry to a friend or go to a big party where you can be around people but not have to actually interact with anyone.
    I used to run a LOT - long distance so I could stay out for a few hours but I think it can actually make you worse at the end of it. But yeah just cry. It's a natural de-stressor
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Being out in nature.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    A Five State Crime Spree usually seems to cheer me up.....
  • _Miss_Chievous
    _Miss_Chievous Posts: 601 Member
    I've been writing alot, I find music helps me alot too or a walk on the beach ❤ when I need to breakdown I just let it out instead of always trying to keep it in like I've always done in the past. I hope you feel better soon 😊
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    I usually spend time alone. Like, I isolate myself as much as possible, for a few days. Ofc I'm an introvert, so that just comes with the territory
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    A nap or a good night's sleep reboots, refreshes my brain
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    • Long walks
    • Sleeping
    • Vegging out with drink of your choice (if you drink)
    • Crocheting/knitting
    • Sitting in nature absorbing the scenery
    • Read a book in bed/fall asleep
    • A nice relaxing bath with some calm music (whatever works for you)
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    manic depressive apartment cleaning