Cold Showers

Options
J72FIT
J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
edited September 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Read up a bunch on the benefits of taking a cold shower. Who knows if any of it is true but I will tell you, I felt amazing afterwards. All I did was set a timer for 5 min to make sure I was in there long enough. The first 30 seconds were brutal, the next 30 were tolerable, the next minute I adjusted, the final 3 minutes were fantastic.

Replies

• PWHF
    PWHF Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about trying this, was going to have one this morning but forgot...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    PWHF wrote: »
    I've been thinking about trying this, was going to have one this morning but forgot...

I highly recommend it. It will definitely be part of my morning routine. Bonus, you don't have to wait for the water to get warm...
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    I do it at the end of the shower.. turn off the hot water slowly..

Just dont do it during winter.. 😆
  • mrsabror90
    mrsabror90 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Generally, during the summer I only take veeeerry cool showers. Not ice cold, but definitely not hot. I don't know about any crazy benefits, but I have heard it is better for your skin and hair. My husband on the other hand likes his scalding hot.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I can only speak for myself... I loved it. My wife on the other hand thinks I'm nuts.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    mrsabror90 wrote: »
    Generally, during the summer I only take veeeerry cool showers. Not ice cold, but definitely not hot. I don't know about any crazy benefits, but I have heard it is better for your skin and hair. My husband on the other hand likes his scalding hot.

Neither do I, nor do I care honestly. I just wanted to see if I could do it. I was surprised not only how easy it was, (once you get past the first minute) but how enjoyable it was.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    I do it at the end of the shower.. turn off the hot water slowly..

Just dont do it during winter.. 😆

I have tried that in the past. I find it harder to do it that way. I adjusted so much easier by going right in cold. Kinda like jumping in the ocean or a pool...
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Kinda like jumping in the hot tub then getting into a cold pool maybe? Makes me feel like straight jello... in a good way.😮
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Kinda like jumping in the hot tub then getting into a cold pool maybe? Makes me feel like straight jello... in a good way.😮

This.. 👍
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Only when confined to barracks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Even on full cold, my shower doesn't get all that cold. I do take ice baths from time to time...I did them much more frequently when I was training a lot harder with my PT.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Hot shower for relaxation....If I am taking a shower right after working out, then COOL not cold is what I do.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Now see someone was just telling me yesterday about studies that showed people who used a sauna 3x a week for more than 20 minutes were significantly less likely to suffer from a myriad of diseases.

What is cold supposed to do?

Maybe it is just that humans are not meant to live in climate-controlled environments throughout or lives. Or being uncomfortable makes us healthier. One or the other.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Now see someone was just telling me yesterday about studies that showed people who used a sauna 3x a week for more than 20 minutes were significantly less likely to suffer from a myriad of diseases.

Maybe it is just that humans are not meant to live in climate-controlled environments throughout or lives. Or being uncomfortable makes us healthier. One or the other.

I have no idea... lol! I just know I feel great afterwards...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It's so hot in the summer that I basically turned the faucet to almost all cold anyway. I like getting out and not needing a fan to cool me off.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I can only speak for myself... I loved it. My wife on the other hand thinks I'm nuts.

I agree with her. Hot showers are one of the main benefits of living in a first world country and I, for one, intend to continue appreciating my good fortune. ;)

Now, as I live in Phoenix Metro I can tell you I have definitely taken cool showers, but never cold. But do you! If it feels invigorating and you like it, stick with it! Can't hurt and you might even burn a calorie or two as your body works a little harder to keep itself warm.

That part.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I remember ages ago when someone was promoting the idea that a cold shower would encourage your body to store "brown fat" rather than regular fat. Haven't heard much about that since, so I'm guessing it didn't stand up to further study :wink:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you can take my hot bath from my cold dead hands. the only time i shower is if i am exceptionally sweaty and gross and the only time i take a cool (not cold) shower is if ive been laying out in the sun or pool and am ....sweaty or gross.