Cold Showers

2»

Replies

• scottyaus2732
    scottyaus2732 Posts: 67 Member
    It has something to do with stimulating your mitochondria.

Read a book by Dave Asprey called headstrong.

Lots of crazy ways and not so crazy ways to make you feel and perform brilliantly. Cold showers is one of them.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    edited September 2019

Lots of crazy ways and not so crazy ways to make you feel and perform brilliantly. Cold showers is one of them.

Lol Dave Asprey...

I just did it to see if I would like it. I loved it. End of story for me...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I mean I'm sure I could do it, but that doesn't mean I have any desire to do so ;)

That said, I bet 5 minutes of a cold shower and then turning the temperature up would make the warm shower feel amazing. I might be willing to try that tomorrow...
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Now see someone was just telling me yesterday about studies that showed people who used a sauna 3x a week for more than 20 minutes were significantly less likely to suffer from a myriad of diseases.

What is cold supposed to do?

Maybe it is just that humans are not meant to live in climate-controlled environments throughout or lives. Or being uncomfortable makes us healthier. One or the other.

I remember ages ago when someone was promoting the idea that a cold shower would encourage your body to store "brown fat" rather than regular fat. Haven't heard much about that since, so I'm guessing it didn't stand up to further study :wink:

I heard at some point sleeping in a 63-65 degree room would help you store your fat as brown fat.

We keep the house on 72 and I freeze some nights, I know partly it's because there are two vents in the bedroom so it is probably below 72, but 63? I'd shake myself to sleep.
  • J72FIT
    One thing I have noticed is my skin is not dry. Have not had to moisturize at all...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    it cools me down after a workout. which is nice
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Started to implement this by having a tepid shower then at the end blasting it to cold for 15 seconds or so...lots of benefits supposedly. I think it is better for your hair/skin than hot.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member

Yeah, like tanning with no bottoms so the boys get some sunlight to increase testosterone.... If cold showers are advise he gives that works, I'd imagine it is only because "spray and pray" still hits the right target sometimes.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Hormesis. It's a toxicology term I've seen applied to cold showers. No idea if it has been studied or if there is any evidence.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    I love cold showers. Clean with hot ( it's ingrained) , then shock myself with the coldest setting. It gets tricky with desert living, as it turns to lukewarm or warm around 10am to 8pm. I need a shower thermostat to be honest, as I favour bone chilling cold.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited September 2019
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Read up a bunch on the benefits of taking a cold shower. Who knows if any of it is true but I will tell you, I felt amazing afterwards. All I did was set a timer for 5 min to make sure I was in there long enough. The first 30 seconds were brutal, the next 30 were tolerable, the next minute I adjusted, the final 3 minutes were fantastic.

Coming from the driest state, in the driest inhabited continent, I just see this as torture and a huge waste of water.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Now see someone was just telling me yesterday about studies that showed people who used a sauna 3x a week for more than 20 minutes were significantly less likely to suffer from a myriad of diseases.

Maybe it is just that humans are not meant to live in climate-controlled environments throughout or lives. Or being uncomfortable makes us healthier. One or the other.

I remember ages ago when someone was promoting the idea that a cold shower would encourage your body to store "brown fat" rather than regular fat. Haven't heard much about that since, so I'm guessing it didn't stand up to further study :wink:

I heard at some point sleeping in a 63-65 degree room would help you store your fat as brown fat.

We keep the house on 72 and I freeze some nights, I know partly it's because there are two vents in the bedroom so it is probably below 72, but 63? I'd shake myself to sleep.

Insufficient covers! I love to pile on the covers. Now I have a weighted blanket and only one quilt in the winter. I have my part of the house at 59 degrees and would go lower but my OH objects. I think I'm going to go lower anyway this winter and blame perimenopause, despite not having hot flashed :lol:

And I was quite comfortable when I did winter camping at 17 degrees. I made it all the way down to 7, but that was a little uncomfortable. I had an amazing sleeping bag and a very heavy quilt.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited September 2019
    Win Hof has written a bit about their benefits. The guy is clearly a genetic freak, but I suspect many people could get benefits from his ideas.

I've been doing them for 3 months. The first second or two is grim, but it quickly becomes fine after that.

The coldest water I can remember being in recently was 4 centigrade on a scuba dive. That became quite a short dive - I couldn't move my hands after 20 minutes, so I thumbed it.
  • J72FIT
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Read up a bunch on the benefits of taking a cold shower. Who knows if any of it is true but I will tell you, I felt amazing afterwards. All I did was set a timer for 5 min to make sure I was in there long enough. The first 30 seconds were brutal, the next 30 were tolerable, the next minute I adjusted, the final 3 minutes were fantastic.

Coming from the driest state, in the driest inhabited continent, I just see this as torture and a huge waste of water.

A 5 minute shower is a waste of water?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

A 5 minute shower is a waste of water?

When water is a precious comodity I try to limit them to around 2 minutes unless I have to wash my hair, which I only do a couple of times a week. Hubby will even turn the water off while soaping and shampooing (he is almost bald so doesn't take long) to save even more water.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    Well, I'd definitely have shorter showers if I took them cold (I don't, at my prior place there was a water pressure problem plus a tankless heater and sometimes it would go cold in the middle of a shower and I hated that so much). So there's that.

I actually might try it and see if I hate it still -- that would save water since right now I run it to warm it up.
  • I've been taking ice-cold showers to start the day for years, and I still find the first minute an endurance test! But after that I settle into it, and it somehow makes me feel full of energy after I get out. It also seems to clear my head. Keeps me on my toes. I save the warm showers for just before bed.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    edited September 2019
    I read recently that hot baths burn extra calories (but only if you stay in an hour) ...so is it both extremes, or just anecdotal? https://womenshealthmag.com/fitness/a19969016/hot-bath-exercise-study/
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Insufficient covers! I love to pile on the covers. Now I have a weighted blanket and only one quilt in the winter. I have my part of the house at 59 degrees and would go lower but my OH objects. I think I'm going to go lower anyway this winter and blame perimenopause, despite not having hot flashed :lol:

And I was quite comfortable when I did winter camping at 17 degrees. I made it all the way down to 7, but that was a little uncomfortable. I had an amazing sleeping bag and a very heavy quilt.

I sleep with a weighted blanket and another blanket on top of it most nights.

What is the point of chilling the room and then warming yourself in covers? I doubt you will get your body to store fat as brown fat if you are cozy under the covers....and why pay to chill the house just to bury in covers?

It is so funny how one degree makes so much difference. Well, one degree on the thermostat, which may translate to a few degrees in some rooms. I like 73. Dh likes 72. We regularly switch back and forth...