Cannot get rid of my belly!!

I've been doing Pilates daily for 9 months now, and it's definitely making a big difference in my arms, legs, and butt. However, the improvement to my abs has been minimal. Crunches are really hard on my back- is that the only way to get good abs and lose this tummy? Any suggestions appreciated.

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    I've been doing Pilates daily for 9 months now, and it's definitely making a big difference in my arms, legs, and butt. However, the improvement to my abs has been minimal. Crunches are really hard on my back- is that the only way to get good abs and lose this tummy? Any suggestions appreciated.

Tried planks?
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Yes, love planks and can incorporate more.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Ab exercises don't have anything to do with losing stomach fat. Only eating at a calorie deficit can do that. Unfortunately, we don't get to choose where our body chooses to lose fat from, and for many people, their stomach is the last place that they will lose from. The only thing that will lose stomach fat is continued weight loss.

This is probably true- I have not always stayed within my calorie max every day. I'm also middle aged and I think my body likes to hang onto fat in my tummy area. God knows why!
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    edited September 2019
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Ab exercises don't have anything to do with losing stomach fat. Only eating at a calorie deficit can do that. Unfortunately, we don't get to choose where our body chooses to lose fat from, and for many people, their stomach is the last place that they will lose from. The only thing that will lose stomach fat is continued weight loss.

Since I have now regained a lot of what I lost and am working on losing it again, and have worked on it intermittently for a couple years, I will tell you that every time I lose weight, it goes from the outside in. I notice my lower legs and arms getting slimmer, then my thighs and upper arms, then my breasts and butt get smaller, and my stomach/abdomen is always the absolute last place I see a difference. You might be built to lose weight the same way. Frustrating, I know, since our belly is usually the thing that really motivates us to start trying to burn off fat in the first place. I get the age thing too. Losing weight seems a lot slower and harder at 44 than it did in my 30s. :s