Adjusting calories

roobella
roobella Posts: 59 Member
edited September 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
After years of yo yo dieting either with SW or more recently WW I'm trying MFP.

The reason for the change! When following these plans often I was under eating calories and feeling drained at which point I would then over compensate and eat too much

So this week was my first week on MFP
I'm 36, 5ft 5 and 180lbs. I'd like to get back to 140 maybe at a push 133. I'm lightly active try to walk to places when I can and squeeze in 20 to 30 min cardio, when I can, as that's what I have available to me. MFP gave me a calorie goal of 1590cals.

This week my weight maintained, which considering the changes I'm happy with.

My question is how long to try this calorie goal to see if I start losing weight before I try adjusting and reducing the calorie level?
Honestly not felt like I've eaten this much in ages, and my energy levels are certainly better this week, for the first time in a long time. So happy not to rush

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Give it a few weeks and also try a weight trending app, like libra or happy scale.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    4 weeks is a good aim before making any further change to intake. All the best.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    ps I'm smaller than you by 3" and would lose eating 1590 (0.5lb a week) - I'm quite active. But the calories you've been allotted sounds good to me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    roobella wrote: »
    After years of yo yo dieting either with SW or more recently WW I'm trying MFP.

The reason for the change! When following these plans often I was under eating calories and feeling drained at which point I would then over compensate and eat too much

So this week was my first week on MFP
    I'm 36, 5ft 5 and 180lbs. I'd like to get back to 140 maybe at a push 133. I'm lightly active try to walk to places when I can and squeeze in 20 to 30 min cardio, when I can, as that's what I have available to me. MFP gave me a calorie goal of 1590cals.

This week my weight maintained, which considering the changes I'm happy with.

My question is how long to try this calorie goal to see if I start losing weight before I try adjusting and reducing the calorie level?
    Honestly not felt like I've eaten this much in ages, and my energy levels are certainly better this week, for the first time in a long time. So happy not to rush

3 more weeks. Since weight loss does not often appear linearly on the bathroom scale you might have lost some fat weight this week that is being masked. If you do seem some downward movement then wait about another 3 weeks (total of 6) to determine what adjustments, if any, to make.
  • roobella
    ps I'm smaller than you by 3" and would lose eating 1590 (0.5lb a week) - I'm quite active. But the calories you've been allotted sounds good to me.

Thanks that's really helpful
  • roobella
    Thanks everyone 👍🏻
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    For a premenopausal woman it makes most sense to stick to your goal at least through one entire cycle as there are so many fluctuations connected with your menstrual cycle.

So, depending on where you started your plan with reference to your cycle you may need to stick with it for around 7 weeks to be sure about what’s going on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Just in to say I started around your weight/height (183, 5'5"), and lost 50 pounds in just under a year, most of it eating at about the goal you're at now, plus all my (carefully estimated) exercise calories, at age 59-60.

I agree with the "at least one full menstrual cycle" idea.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Agree with all of the above.

After the yo yo dieting, might take a few weeks to reset. Give it time, I think having energy and feeling more satisfied is just as important as losing weight.

I did WW for less than a month, because I felt like I was starving. Quit, jumped on MFP, lost almost 100 and maintained. Never felt starving or deprived the entire time while losing.
  • roobella
    Still no loss today.
    I did jump on the scales mid week and had gone down a 1lb with natural fluctuation but on weigh day it was the same.

I'll stick with your advice and keep at it for another few weeks before adjusting calories. Thanks everyone