Help with IIFYM

Options
I'm 5'9" male and went down from 73kgs to 68kgs in the past 3 to 4 months. I'm rigorously logging everything I eat/drink and I exercise 4-5 times a week including HIIT, running and recently introduced some weight exercises.

I first started just by eating healthy whole foods but I realised this might not help me to achieve my goal: getting a six-pack. So I switched to IIFYM diet about 2 months ago. I've been making small adjustments to my macro goals weekly as my weight changes, currently, I'm consuming 190/149/55 carbs/protein/fat.

I'm still losing weight, but my belly fat hasn't changed visually (I'm not measuring) in the past 4 weeks. I don't even have a four-pack and I'm generally quite skinny now. I wonder if it's my genetics or my diet. I'm wondering if I'm still losing muscle.

I don't want to make drastic changes, but I'm kind of lost as to what my next step should be. Not sure if this is enough to give advice, but any input is appreciated.

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    l4zl0w wrote: »
    I'm 5'9" male and went down from 73kgs to 68kgs in the past 3 to 4 months. I'm rigorously logging everything I eat/drink and I exercise 4-5 times a week including HIIT, running and recently introduced some weight exercises.

I first started just by eating healthy whole foods but I realised this might not help me to achieve my goal: getting a six-pack. So I switched to IIFYM diet about 2 months ago. I've been making small adjustments to my macro goals weekly as my weight changes, currently, I'm consuming 190/149/55 carbs/protein/fat.

I'm still losing weight, but my belly fat hasn't changed visually (I'm not measuring) in the past 4 weeks. I don't even have a four-pack and I'm generally quite skinny now. I wonder if it's my genetics or my diet. I'm wondering if I'm still losing muscle.

I don't want to make drastic changes, but I'm kind of lost as to what my next step should be. Not sure if this is enough to give advice, but any input is appreciated.

You're at a BMI of of 22.1. If you have not really weight trained in the past, you probably have a FFMI (fat free mass index) of 18.9 or maybe 19. That would mean ~58-59 kg of lean mass, or a body fat of 13%-14.7%. You probably need to be leaner given that you probably don't have a lot of muscle.
    Are you doing any exercises to target the abdominal muscles?
  • l4zl0w
    l4zl0w Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I think the only thing I may not be doing enough there is the strength training.
  • l4zl0w
    Options
    I'm using Nike Training Club app for all my exercises and on top of that do one 5K run a week. The training in this app is mostly focusing on endurance or endurance with some strength based on body weight. The odd time I get to the gym, I still do the training from this app but one that includes equipment as well. However, these exercises are still restricted to dumbells, or kettlebells only with some pull/push ups and dips.
  • l4zl0w
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I think the bottom line is that I need to do more strength training. Any suggestions on what program to start on? Which app to use? etc.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I think the bottom line is that I need to do more strength training. Any suggestions on what program to start on? Which app to use? etc.

Depends on what equipment you have access to and how often/long you want to train. There is a post in the gaining forum that lists a number of popular, reputable programs. I'd start there.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    • 4 weeks probably isn't enough time to notice changes in body fat.
    • You can do both a whole food diet and IIFYM - they are not exclusive of each other.
    • Having visible abs is a function of both low body fat and sufficient muscle size/volume.
    • Genetics will have a lot to do with it, and there's not much you can do about that... but diet and strength training will also be big factors... and both of those you can definitely control.
    • Strength training is your friend... meet him and get cozy with him.

Cosigned on all of this^^
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about IIFYM the web site or IIFYM the eating philosophy?
    Two very different things. There's nothing magical about the particular macro split that site recommends and fixed percentages or grams are really against the principle of flexible dieting.

Not seeing any reason you would be losing muscle but currently you aren't doing much to gain it either.
    Neither running or HIIT (assuming you mean real HIIT) will do much at all and that just leaves the "some strength exercises".

Have a serious think about your goals and priorities and then pick your exercise routine to match. Does your current routine actually have a chance of delivering what you desire?

What physique are you aiming for in four months? (Not four weeks!)
    What physique is your ultimate goal?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Probably a combination of a couple of things...lacking in muscle mass and not lean enough. To have visible abs you have to have sufficient muscle mass (and no, I don't think you're losing muscle)...you also have to be pretty lean. If you've just started lifting, you're probably lacking sufficient muscle mass.

Even with a decent amount of muscle mass, most guys need to be sub 10% BF to have chiseled abs.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    • 4 weeks probably isn't enough time to notice changes in body fat.
    • You can do both a whole food diet and IIFYM - they are not exclusive of each other.
    • Having visible abs is a function of both low body fat and sufficient muscle size/volume.
    • Genetics will have a lot to do with it, and there's not much you can do about that... but diet and strength training will also be big factors... and both of those you can definitely control.
    • Strength training is your friend... meet him and get cozy with him.

Yes... yes... yes! No such thing as spot reduction. If you manage some "newbie" gains, your body comp can change. Body building is an illusion. I have seen guys walking round at 17% but have stomachs like 15%