What am I doing wrong this time....?

Options
I've been taking everyone's advice regarding to diet and exercise by trying to hit 1200 calories per day, and I've been doing 30 minutes - 1 hour of exercise per day (30 minutes of jogging/cardio and 20 minutes of a workout video(mainly abs) and sometimes 10 minutes of weight lifting). However, for the past few days I've been having extreme hunger and nausea. I tried eating some eggs to get some protein in hopes that I'd feel full, but my stomach rejected it and I didn't really even have a taste for it. In addition, I also tried to drink a lot of water thinking that It'd curb my appetite, but to no avail. Furthermore, I had a huge craving for sugar, from like fruits for some reason. Due to this, today I binged on a heap of oatmeal and nuts(a LOT of ALmonds and a few walnuts , but also a LOT of OATMEAL), gluten free pancakes (and syrup) , peanut butter and even fruit. I also had a little bit of okra and white rice unfortunately. I'm pretty sure that I ate around 2000+ calories, but I oddly don't feel as bad as I did during my previous binges months ago. And although I feel somewhat out of control, I'm determined to succeed this time :) .
So, my question is, what exactly am I doing wrong? I really want to lose weight in a healthy way this time and I'm willing to take any sensible advice.

Replies

• FarahRahamtullah
    Options
    Hey I am on a similar path as you... I am also eating 1200 cals a day but my workout is limited to walking outside. I started with walking one mile and in 12 days have been able to work up to 3 miles a day. But it's true if your body is feeling like you need to binge you're not eating enough. The thing that's helping me is, i have created a "cheat day" one a week to eat whatever I craved all week. I would write it down and on my cheat day I would include those in my meals and I want upto 1700 cals. So basically the unhealthy stuff like ice cream or chips I'll have very little where it's only between 100 to 180 cals as a snack on that day. So far I've lost 7 lbs - 5 inches from the waist.
  • FarahRahamtullah
    Options
    Depends on my hunger level
    Breakfast - Black coffee everyday is a must!
    Sometimes I have a dragonfruit (superfood)
    Sometimes its eggwhites
    Some mornings when I have no self control I've had an ice cream sandwich (160 cals) that's the highest cal BF
    Snack - clementines (35 cals)
    Snack - yogurt
    Snack - Quaker Rice Cake (35 cals per cake) (sometimes I add .5TBSP of Nutella)
    Snack (Protein shake 230 cals)
    Lunch - Carb Control Tortilla wrap with Shrimp and Mozzarella cheese little bit of taco seasoning
    Snack - steamed and Mashed cauliflower with buttermilk ranch SEASONİNG (it tastes just like mashed potatoes with sour cream and chives.) Only 55 cals per cup
    Dinner - Bell Pepper stuffed with shrimp and Quinoa with dried herbs.

There's all kinds of food i experiment with! Feel free to add me as a friend to view my diary.
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to eat more, and try to do that consistently. If you have the discipline to stick to 1200 for a few days, you can probably also stick to 1500 (or whatever your mfp calorie goal is) and you might rebound less if you don’t restrict as much. I’ve also found sometimes it’s better to give in to a craving and go a little over for a day (ex craving fruit but being out of calories, have some grapes or melon or something) than to restrict and go overboard a couple days later. Or if I crave something really badly, and try to compromise with another snack, and end up just eating a ton of other things bc I never ate what my body needed/wanted.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Honeyacid wrote: »
    I've been taking everyone's advice regarding to diet and exercise by trying to hit 1200 calories per day, and I've been doing 30 minutes - 1 hour of exercise per day (30 minutes of jogging/cardio and 20 minutes of a workout video(mainly abs) and sometimes 10 minutes of weight lifting). However, for the past few days I've been having extreme hunger and nausea. I tried eating some eggs to get some protein in hopes that I'd feel full, but my stomach rejected it and I didn't really even have a taste for it. In addition, I also tried to drink a lot of water thinking that It'd curb my appetite, but to no avail. Furthermore, I had a huge craving for sugar, from like fruits for some reason. Due to this, today I binged on a heap of oatmeal and nuts(a LOT of ALmonds and a few walnuts , but also a LOT of OATMEAL), gluten free pancakes (and syrup) , peanut butter and even fruit. I also had a little bit of okra and white rice unfortunately. I'm pretty sure that I ate around 2000+ calories, but I oddly don't feel as bad as I did during my previous binges months ago. And although I feel somewhat out of control, I'm determined to succeed this time :) .
    So, my question is, what exactly am I doing wrong? I really want to lose weight in a healthy way this time and I'm willing to take any sensible advice.

The bit I’ve bolded in your post confuses me a bit.

You say you had a craving for fruit yet you ate lots of things that aren’t fruit instead of satisfying that craving with fruit - apart from where you say ‘and even fruit’ as if that might be a last ditch attempt to satisfy your craving. Have you picked up an idea somewhere that the sugar in fruit is ‘bad’?

It’s not...unless you have a medical reason to avoid dietary sugar (such as diabetes). Far better and healthier in so many ways to eat fruit than try and sublimate the craving by eating a bunch of other stuff.
  • alung2k3
    alung2k3 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It can be over complicated. Just stick to the goals set by MFP and use a digital scale to remain accurate. I've lost over 5 stone just doing that.