Question for the Lifers

Options
Emmapatterson1729
Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
edited September 2019 in Motivation and Support
Been on here for about 3 months. I just cleaned off friends list for the first time. Around 100 cut, most inactive for over a month.

Question is: does anyone who's been on here a long time find it discouraging how many come and go, or ever discouraged by how many start and quit after being active and gungho for first couple of weeks?

Or is it something you just become used to?

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Don't care, I'm here for me.

That would be a healthier way for me to look at it!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I’m here off and on for several years. I really wish I had a way to contact some of them. I’m not used to it yet. And yet I do it, so it may bother others when I drop out. Hmmm.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I’ve been here for almost 10 years. I keep a small list of less than 15, and most I have been connected to for a long time. They’re like close friends to me and we interact daily. Quality over quantity for me.

@Boxn_n_Bellydancn

10 years is very impressive!!!

I was trying to keep a small tight knit friends list. But it just kept growing. I did cut it back today mostly to the people who sign on, log, and converse.

I just didn't realize I had so many on list who disappeared.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I lost about the last 30-40 of 100 lbs at Weight Watchers. First thing I noticed was the revolving door nature of the place. People starting and stopping all the time. A lot who made goal weight and regained everything they had lost. Often with more added on.

I was determined not to do that. Same thing happens on MFP.

So I see what happens, but I’m not discouraged because of what others do. It reminds me how fragile successful weight loss can be. I’m fortunate to have found my way.

@88olds

I tried weight watchers, but at the location I was at no one conversed. They came, weighed, listened to the speaker, and bolted. No real way to connect to others, but Gilbert, AZ wasn't known for it's friendliness, ;)

@corinasue1143

I've been on and off MFP for years too, this is the first time using the community. I never realized all of this was here.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Pamela_Sue wrote: »
    I have been on here since May and my first MFP friend has disappeared already. It does sadden me as I realize they may have given up. But I am also grateful that I am hanging in there and don't want the same to happen to me.

@Pamela_Sue

I started in June, and most that started same week on my friends list are already gone. Glad we're still here sticking to it!!
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    I've been on both sides of this. I've lost friends who have quit and I'm sad to say I've also been the quitter. I don't intend to be again but I'm guessing everyone says and thinks that when they start.

In addition I'm sad that I've lost some of the good friends I had previously who are still here but obviously gave up on me because I left. I can't blame them for that but I do miss them.

That said I'd agree that you have to be in it for yourself. You can't rely on anyone else to keep you on board.

I like company though and I like having like minded people to chat to online about the whole process.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I've only been here 3 months so don't notice people leaving too much in my friends list.

It saddens me in the forums, though, when I see yet another "starting over" or "back again" thread. It means that all of those people weren't able to make this a lifestyle change.

I've been very happy with my results so far. I'm looking forward to the rest of my journey. This is for me, nobody else.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I joined 8 years ago, but was largely absent for 4 of those years in the middle. I've seen a lot of people come and go, a few I regret not having a secondary way to contact. That's just how it goes. Some met their goals and moved on. But the majority of them just drift away.

I'm a terrible MFP "friend." I rarely post and only occasionally like or comment on their stuff to remind them I'm still alive.

There are regulars I interact with on the forums only that I consider friends (whether they know it or no :lol: ) who are not on my friends list. I'd miss them if they disappeared.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @LyndaBSS

I believe you and I started at the same time. Glad to see you still here commenting everyday and welcoming newbies!!

@pinuplove @fatoldladyonamission @nighthawk584
    @AnnPT77
    @Katmary71

Thanks for replying.

I enjoy reading all the comments and advice you guys provide through the forums!! Definitively providing inspiration!

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I joined 8 years ago, but was largely absent for 4 of those years in the middle. I've seen a lot of people come and go, a few I regret not having a secondary way to contact. That's just how it goes. Some met their goals and moved on. But the majority of them just drift away.

I'm a terrible MFP "friend." I rarely post and only occasionally like or comment on their stuff to remind them I'm still alive.

There are regulars I interact with on the forums only that I consider friends (whether they know it or no :lol: ) who are not on my friends list. I'd miss them if they disappeared.

This is why I no longer accept friend requests...I am just horrible at being a friend on this site. I also found the feed annoying when everyone was congratulating each other on being way below their calorie goal or making excuses as to why they couldn't lose or they gained weight.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »

This is why I no longer accept friend requests...I am just horrible at being a friend on this site. I also found the feed annoying when everyone was congratulating each other on being way below their calorie goal or making excuses as to why they couldn't lose or they gained weight.

@Annie_01

I understand the feed annoyance!

This is part of the reason I just cut my list down! I'm already getting close to the point of not wanting to accept anymore friends request.

I mostly kept people who get in enough calories and have open diaries.

With a history of eating disorders, I can't watch people starve themselves; it was triggering some really bad side effects. I finally decided I have to put myself and my health before others.