How supportive is MFP to you?

pizzamyheart
pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
There was a time when I logged on to MFP every day. I had a bunch of "friends" who I enjoyed reading about their progress. They would actually comment on my status updates regularly, or write on my wall, and I on theirs. I found it extremely supportive. The forums were a fun place I could go to for a quick laugh, or good discussion, which made me feel connected with the world. Then, I slacked and suffered life stuff, and didn't log on for a long time, lost passwords, changed accounts, etc. I don't have that same support here anymore. I miss it, I think. However, I think sometime people are too involved on here as they share their lives, etc. I've heard many stories of ghosting, friends disappeared, friends turning out to be lies, etc. So is this support really support? Perhaps it is legit support, perhaps it isn't. What is your experience? Do you find mfp to be supportive? In what way? just for your fitness goals, or actual day to day boost of support? DISCUSS.

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Good amount on my list are supportive.. couple are just for fun (friends I chat with on regular basis). The rest.. come and go.

• pizzamyheart
    So, @cee134 isn't human? I had my suspicions. He isn't vulcan, is he?
  • pizzamyheart
    SwannySez wrote: »
    MFP is a dark hole which sucks and sucks and sucks at my soul until there is no soul left to suck. Then it sucks some more. It is the Linda Lovelace of fitness sites.

Plus bewbs.

But I have made so many amazing friends here. I mean people I talk to daily and trust with my deepest darkest soul-suckinest secrets. Like the one about the cyclops. And the one about the John Holmes MFing ninja's wife. Every time I come back after a time away, I meet more people that I adore.

Plus? If you use it as intended, it actually will help you. So. Win/win for me.

SwannySez, YES!

I have heard rumors about you. Something about you doing napoleonic photo shoots or something.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited September 2019
    For fitness? I guess early on I got some useful information. But I’m the type of person who does less when I talk more. The accountability thing doesn’t work for me.

I’ve “met” and actually met a few interesting people though and I enjoy that. I wouldn’t really call it support, just friendship of varying levels.
  • pizzamyheart
    cee134 wrote: »
    I find the forums to be a fascinating study of human behaviour and interaction.

ETA: Mostly human, @cee134

I have proof I'm not a robot but a human like you who also enjoys using my human legs to walk.

71nu4e66f01n.gif

Wait, you have proof of my humanity? I'd like to see this!
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    MFP is supportive in the fact that I look forward to just making it say I lost weight, and easy to adjust my calorie limit and keep track of macros in an easy to do setting.

No friends, minimum forum use, just looking forward to reaching my goals. :D
    I would say regarding fitness platform communities, I enjoyed Fitbit community and their platform layout (before I drove over my Fitbit).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited September 2019
    So Catfishing happens on MFP too .... I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

In general my experience is a positive one, been here since 2012.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member

I have proof I'm not a robot but a human like you who also enjoys using my human legs to walk.

71nu4e66f01n.gif

No, of not being a robot. PM me with your Kik so I can send you robot pics. I mean non-robot pics.
  • pizzamyheart

71nu4e66f01n.gif

No, of not being a robot. PM me with your Kik so I can send you robot pics. I mean non-robot pics.

I can't PM you that information if we aren't friends. Send me a friend request and your social security number.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member

71nu4e66f01n.gif

I can't PM you that information if we aren't friends. Send me a friend request and your social security number.

You silly people! KIK is just for recipes.

At least that's what the last guy told me. I'm still waiting on the eggplant parmigiana recipe he promised.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    I am enjoying my mfp experience. That's helpful when on a weight loss journey, especially when you're making lifestyle changes. It gives me a positive attitude.

I give support and get supported in return. I've gotten better results on mfp than with any of my many yo-yo diets.

I think I'll stick around for a while. 😉
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    SwannySez wrote: »
    MFP is a dark hole which sucks and sucks and sucks at my soul until there is no soul left to suck. Then it sucks some more. It is the Linda Lovelace of fitness sites.

Plus bewbs.

But I have made so many amazing friends here. I mean people I talk to daily and trust with my deepest darkest soul-suckinest secrets. Like the one about the cyclops. And the one about the John Holmes MFing ninja's wife. Every time I come back after a time away, I meet more people that I adore.

Plus? If you use it as intended, it actually will help you. So. Win/win for me.

SwannySez, YES!

I have heard rumors about you. Something about you doing napoleonic photo shoots or something.

That was the dic.......tators sesion.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member

The type of interaction I have observed here is drastically different than IRL human interaction imo.

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »

The type of interaction I have observed here is drastically different than IRL human interaction imo.

Well just throw a wrench in my data why dontcha

Just my opinion. Lol.

Then again, these forums are heavily moderated/censored.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

I don't think Catfishing happens here at all.

I would say more on the subject except my security detail and publicist are waiting for me to board my private jet. Brad Pitt and I are headed to have lunch with Quentin Tarantino to discuss our next film project in Algeria.

......Maybe you would like to join us next time ??
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I don't think Catfishing happens here at all.

I would say more on the subject except my security detail and publicist are waiting for me to board my private jet. Brad Pitt and I are headed to have lunch with Quentin Tarantino to discuss our next film project in Algeria.

......Maybe you would like to join us next time ??

It’s not really catfishing if no one ever believes you ❤️🤡