Sugar from fruit

Options
I keep going over my sugar allowance but it's from fruit (10 grapes, I banana, 1 apple a day). Should I be concerned or is sugar from fruit ok ? thankss x

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    If you have no existing medical conditions that would prevent it, you may eat, or drink, ANYTHING, and lose weight, as long as you eat less calories than your body burns.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting and have no medical reason to watch sugar you should ignore everything but calories.

When you have settled comfortably into your calorie goal you will want to make sure you hit or exceed a proper protein and fat goal most days.

When you have made any changes necessary to eat the proper amount of protein and fat you may want to make sure you are getting the enough fiber.

If you have no medical reason or a symptom of deficiency (like getting cramps when you need potassium) you never have to worry about carbs, sugar, or anything else.

This all assumes you do not have hunger issue in which case you may need to experiment with macros and fiber a little sooner.
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Your body metabolizes fruit sugar differently than added sugar, so, do not be concerned about fruit sugar unless you have insulin resistance. There is a lot of info on this matter on the web including the one on MFP's blog from September 5: "Ask the RD: How Much Fruit Is Too Much?" I hope this helps
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I keep going over my sugar allowance but it's from fruit (10 grapes, I banana, 1 apple a day). Should I be concerned or is sugar from fruit ok ? thankss x

Are you diabetic? If so, have you been told to watch sugar rather than the more common total carbs?

If neither of those pertain to your situation, you will be better off getting rid of the sugar tracking in your diary and just track carbs (since sugar is just another carb source). Switch it for something else more important to track. Most will switch it for fiber since it is important to get enough fiber.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It isn't great for your teeth to have fruit too many times in a day.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 bananas a day, I do not count them or don't care about the sugar from them. Natural sugar and I don't care about it. That's just my take on that.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it is ok. unless you have a medical reason to track your sugar, you typically don't need to worry
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I eat 3 bananas a day, I do not count them or don't care about the sugar from them. Natural sugar and I don't care about it. That's just my take on that.

You don't count them toward your calories?

Biiiiiiig mistake. That's around 300 calories right there.

at least
  • melinalosada
    melinalosada Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! I need help. Iam Melina from Argentina. Two days ago I started a lowcarb and today feel whit low energy.
    Its normaly? Thanks