2»

Replies

• duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You can also retrain your taste buds. Go a few weeks without adding salt to foods and you will find you prefer your foods less salty. Same thing with sweets, go a while without eating something sweet and foods you used to love will taste too sweet to you.

Yes, I used to eat a lot of Peppermint Patties and now find them too sweet.

I can't eat a chocolate bar, no matter how good the chocolate is. Too much sweetness. I also find oranges too sweet so I mostly eat grapefruit when I want something citrus. I peel and eat them just like you would an orange.

Have you tried the darker bars that have cacao percentages in the 70s and 80s?
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I’ve started to like plain Greek yogurt too. I used to find it too tart but last time I had it it was like eating whipped cream! I love putting sliced strawberries in it. Also I used to pick olives off of pizza and now I like them. I specifically buy them to put on my pizza!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    You can also retrain your taste buds. Go a few weeks without adding salt to foods and you will find you prefer your foods less salty. Same thing with sweets, go a while without eating something sweet and foods you used to love will taste too sweet to you.

Yes, I used to eat a lot of Peppermint Patties and now find them too sweet.

I can't eat a chocolate bar, no matter how good the chocolate is. Too much sweetness. I also find oranges too sweet so I mostly eat grapefruit when I want something citrus. I peel and eat them just like you would an orange.

Have you tried the darker bars that have cacao percentages in the 70s and 80s?

Yes and they are not very good.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I acquired a taste for cilantro. (I don't have the gene that makes it taste like soap.)

Much to my mother's consternation, I've lost my taste for brown rice.

I do have the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap. Because I love food from cuisines that use it a lot, and because you can't always get food made without, I eventually learned to tolerate it. It doesn't taste good to me now. It doesn't taste like anything.

It's as though my brain has stopped reacting to the sensory information that cilantro is in food. Like you can tune out a background noise, or you can get used to a odor in your house from cooking fish and not smell it anymore (but if you leave for a while and come back, you smell it again).

If I really think it about when I'm eating someone with cilantro, it still tastes like soap. So I try not to really think about it.

When I cook something from a recipe that calls for cilantro, I leave it out unless I'm cooking for other people who all like it. Why waste money on something where the best-case scenario is that I won't taste it?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    As we mature, our taste buds develop.

Yeah, this. So my foods like that are mainly very spicy ones, that I now love, but found intolerable back when I was a child. I also love and crave many vegetables that I found merely tolerable as a kid. Part of the latter is that I cook them better than my mom did, but mostly it's the palate changing with age and experience. I also love olives and I think as a kid I thought they were weird and icky. When I first started drinking coffee in college I loved the smell but found the taste disappointing unless it was half milk, and now I love it black. I hated beer when I first tried it (granted it was horrible beer) and grew to enjoy it, as well as wine, which I'm sure I would have disliked too, but I don't drink anymore so that's not the best example.

I haven't found that my palate has changed since losing weight, but I ate a mostly homecooked diet with lots of veg and some fruit even then. Plain greek yogurt has always tasted good to me (don't think I had greek as a kid, but plain yogurt was tasty to me then). Sometimes it's just getting rid of preconceptions.

Sounds so much like me. I love very spicy food now, the hotter, the better. In the past, i couldn't stand anything even slightly spicy. Vegetables- all kinds, anyway you cook them, baked, grilled, steamed, sauteed, or raw. Love raw beets, broccoli, carrots, radishes, peppers, snap peas, celery. I definitely cook them better than my mom ever did. I use many herbs and spices, makes it interesting and easy to adapt to the desired taste. Olives- could not stand the taste as a child. Same with oatmeal, made me gag, now my breakfast staple. Black coffee, no sugar. Used to be lots of sugar and half-and-half. Same with tea, unsweetened only now. Also, lost taste for fried food. And butter.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes. I always hated them because they were too sweet (every way I'd ever been offered them was with marshmallows, brown sugar, etc. added). Recently discovered that when they're prepared any way involving Mexican spices/toppings, I love them. The spicy balances the sweet and is just delicious!
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Coffee with less and less additions. Started with lots of flavored creamers, on top of flavored beans, and then splenda on top of that. Now I'm making my cups with HWC, half the splenda I used to add and then I'm currently alternating flavored beans with unflavored beans. My goal is to eventually do away with the flavored beans and splenda, (I do add pink salt as a supplement as well and that will continue).

Other things-I used to only eat white chicken meat (breasts usually). Slowly worked in dark meat and now I prefer it (cheaper too!). And then I'm working on adding organ meats to my carnivore way of eating and have gotten used to the flavor of Braunschweiger sausage, I'm eating it daily right now. Next step is chicken livers, which I've bought before but haven't gotten up the nerve to actually try yet lol.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I used to hate onions. Started loving onion rings, and then started adding diced onions, and now I just love them.

I can't do Hershey's Milk Chocolate anymore. I still like milk chocolate in general, but something about those bars has an off taste to them now. I used to love them as a child. The Hershey's Special Dark is still good, they taste like how I used to think the milk chocolate tasted.
  • memurph88
    memurph88 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    As a kid / teenager, I hated any vegetable that was "different". I only liked the basics... broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, carrots, etc. But now I love them ALL.

I also like horseradish, caesars w/ extra spice and saurkraut. Never thought I'd try them, but now I LOVE them!