How much weight is too much to lose?

Options
I’m trying a new online free program. I put in my stats and my measurements. (I weigh 128 pounds, I am 5’6.) And it says I should lose about 15 pounds. That would put me at 113 pounds. Is that too much to lose or okay? I’ve struggled w weight & food so I don’t always trust my idea of what’s bad or good. Is 112 healthy for my height? Some people say no but I also have friends my height who weigh less than that and are healthy.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It will depend a little bit on body composition - how much bodyfat you have vs how much muscle vs how much other stuff (water, bones, etc).

IMO, 113 is probably going to be too light.
  • yoga105
    yoga105 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    It will depend a little bit on body composition - how much bodyfat you have vs how much muscle vs how much other stuff (water, bones, etc).

my body fat percentage is about 25% last time i checked it!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    yoga105 wrote: »

What tool did you use to measure bf?
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I’m trying a new online free program. I put in my stats and my measurements. (I weigh 128 pounds, I am 5’6.) And it says I should lose about 15 pounds. That would put me at 113 pounds. Is that too much to lose or okay? I’ve struggled w weight & food so I don’t always trust my idea of what’s bad or good. Is 112 healthy for my height? Some people say no but I also have friends my height who weigh less than that and are healthy.

Have you though about recomp rather than weight loss? If you believe your body fat % to be around 25, you could start lifting weights and changing your body composition so you have less fat and more muscle, which will make you look a lot leaner while not really changing your weight. It take time and effort, but IMHO it's well worth it.

Also, take online calculators with a grain of salt. They are for "averages". I have one app that tells me I should weigh 108 lbs. I would literally have to starve myself to reach that. Instead, I'm going for 120-125 (5'3") and fit, and strong. I'll still be in a healthy BMI range. There is a reason we use a range, rather than a spot number. We're all different.
  • yoga105
    yoga105 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

What tool did you use to measure bf?

my scale says it:)