Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Maccaroons

cnjg6677cnjg6677 Posts: 120Member Member Posts: 120Member Member
in Recipes
Anyone have good recipes

Replies

• lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Posts: 6,868Member Member Posts: 6,868Member Member
    Do you mean these

hs16hd7y1zcd.png

or these?

3cvxerqlinqe.png

• NoHookUpZoneNoHookUpZone Posts: 1,387Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,387Member, Premium Member
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 6,790Member Member Posts: 6,790Member Member
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 3,855Member Member Posts: 3,855Member Member
    I made some coconut macaroons last weekend, replacing half of the sugar with artificial sweetener. I tried both Splenda and monkfruit and both worked well. Including baking, these took about 15 minutes in total to make.

2 egg whites
    50 g sugar
    same volume of Splenda or monkfruit sweetener as 50 g sugar
    100 g desicated coconut (for optional stronger flavour, toast first in a dry pan)
    1 tsp vanilla extract (optional, I have done both with and without)
    1 Tbsp flour (optional, I have done both with and without)

Mix everything together. Drop with a spoon onto trays lined with silicon baing paper. Bake at 160 C for about 10-12 minutes. If you like a neater look, use a piping bag or a ziplock bag with a corner cut off.

Variation: Use almonds ground finely in the food processor instead of dessicated coconut.

Here's a picture of mine, served with easy pina colada sorbet. (Blitz together two 400 ml tins of pineapple, one 400 ml tin of coconut cream, 150 ml white rum. If using unsweetened pineapple, sweeten to taste. Freeze overnight. I garnished with slivers of kaffir lime leaf and toasted shredded coconut.)

rj8lrz7fhu2m.jpeg

• acpgeeacpgee Posts: 3,855Member Member Posts: 3,855Member Member
    Found a better picture of my macaroons. From another batch that hadn't been blitzed into submission in the food processor.
    keft4hmds6qa.jpeg
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 2,779Member Member Posts: 2,779Member Member
    Do you mean these

hs16hd7y1zcd.png

or these?

3cvxerqlinqe.png

Ah spelling differences in two desserts that are homophones in American English*, that both require a boat load of egg whites, but are vastly different both in ease and taste. And now I want a macaron (or four)

*or rather, the vast majority of the time I've heard it pronounced in English in the US, the French macaron is pronounced as if it's a homophone to macaroon.
  • BarbaraHelen2013BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 462Member Member Posts: 462Member Member
    https://www.confessionsofaconfectionista.com/2014/05/tiramisu-macarons.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+culinaryxcouture+(Culinary+Couture)

Tiramisu Macaron, it’s a recipe I’ve made many times and it’s a good successful macaron method, and has never failed to come out perfectly for me.
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 2,779Member Member Posts: 2,779Member Member
    This is one of my recipe of choice for macarons: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1369639/chocolate-and-raspberry-macaroons
    I typically have trouble with the shells and then I saw an episode of Sorted where they used that. All of the macarons came out despite some serious fumbling so I figured it was pretty foolproof. Needless to say, I've used it with success.
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Posts: 6,868Member Member Posts: 6,868Member Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    Do you mean these

hs16hd7y1zcd.png

or these?

3cvxerqlinqe.png

Ah spelling differences in two desserts that are homophones in American English*, that both require a boat load of egg whites, but are vastly different both in ease and taste. And now I want a macaron (or four)

*or rather, the vast majority of the time I've heard it pronounced in English in the US, the French macaron is pronounced as if it's a homophone to macaroon.

Well, since this is text, not speech, I haven't a clue whether OP would pronounce it like macaroon or macaron, which are not homophones for me, although I live in the U.S. And the spelling in the thread title doesn't tell me anything because it doesn't match the spelling I'm familiar with for either of the photos (macaroon for the first, macaron for the second.

Perhaps if OP ever comes back, we'll get some clarification, or maybe we'll all learn something new, like a maccaroon is something completely different, like a regionally available fruit pronounced Mask Run, and OP wants some jam and ice cream recipes).

In my original post, I purposely tried to take a way of seeking clarification that did not point to the unusual spelling in the thread title or suggest anyone's pronunciation of it is wrong. Thanks for cooperating.