BMI

Options
I had a doctors appointment today to establish a new family doctor. My BMI is still a 25.4. I can't get my weight to budge! I work out almost every day and eat healthy, but its not budging!! The family doctor said that we can check my thyroid and A1C to make sure, but he would be surprised if I had any issues - if that's the case - why wont my numbers budge?!

Replies

• jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food? If not you're eating more than you think.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    jadu1536 wrote: »
    I had a doctors appointment today to establish a new family doctor. My BMI is still a 25.4. I can't get my weight to budge! I work out almost every day and eat healthy, but its not budging!! The family doctor said that we can check my thyroid and A1C to make sure, but he would be surprised if I had any issues - if that's the case - why wont my numbers budge?!

Working out and eating healthy don't cause weight loss. Weight loss is caused by consistently being in a calorie deficit. You can ensure you're in a calorie deficit by weighing all your food and staying within the calorie goal MFP gives you.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

There's not a lot of information for us to go on here. How much weight are you trying to lose? Have you lost some and just plateaued, or not lost any at all? What are you trying to do to lose weight? How long have you been trying and how many calories have you been eating?

The only thing we know is your BMI. Which is not exactly cause for concern. Yes, 25.4 is technically in the "overweight" category, but barely. It's basically a trip to the bathroom away from normal weight range. BMI is not meant to be an exact precise measurement, and being every so slightly in the overweight category is not in and of itself a cause for concern, particularly if you don't have other related health issues.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I decided to buy a food scale!

good for you!

i leave mine out on the counter so i can weigh even snacks quickly. it's helped me quite a lot as many of us can't eyeball portions - i know i can't!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Why are you worried about .4? It’s only an estimate, anyway. Maybe your healthy BMI is 25.4.
    Enjoy life!
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Food scale was a game changer for me.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Why are you worried about .4? It’s only an estimate, anyway. Maybe your healthy BMI is 25.4.
    Enjoy life!

It may only be .4 but it’s very dependent on how you look and feel. I’m hovering right on the border between healthy and overweight BMI at 25.1 and I’m absolutely carrying a whole load of fat that I don’t like, want or accept.

Don’t tell me to enjoy life when I can see how bad that extra fat looks and feels when I know with patience and perseverance I can improve things for my personal satisfaction and my health.

Certainly everyone has different ideal weights for themselves. For some, that may be at the middle or even lower end of normal. But that has to do with the individual and how they feel about their appearance, not the BMI rating itself. So that you are a 25.1 does not in an of itself meaning anything negative for you and your health. It has to do with how you are personally carrying the weight. But that is seperate from the numbers.