Strength training on a calorie deficit

Options
Is there a proper strength training vs. cardio split? I don't mean in a weight loss way per se -- I know the only thing that matters is calories in, calories out. But mostly just gaining muscle whilst on a calorie deficit.

Right now, I do 4-5 days of resistance cardio with 1-2 20ish minute long sessions of heavy strength training. I want to start building more strength, I just can't seem to bring myself to do more than that. I just enjoy my spin classes too much, and the best workout is the one you like to do, right? :) However, I'm mostly interested in shifting body comp rather than actual weight loss. I keep reading conflicting articles online about whether too much cardio can get in the way of building strength. Some sources suggest that if I'm really serious about strength training I should get rid of cardio completely. I feel like that's gotta be b.s. and you can do both simultaneously, but what do I know. Has anyone made any sense of the madness?

tl;dr how are my spin instructors so ripped and how can I do that too? ;)

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I dont know what the right formula is but I do 30 mins of cardio (running) and 60 minutes of heavy strength training various exercises. I am in a calorie deficit losing weight. I eat high protein (to preserve muscle), lowerish carbs. I am gaining great strength. This is what works for me.

There are more experienced people on here that have more physical knowledge.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    sarko15 wrote: »
    Is there a proper strength training vs. cardio split? I don't mean in a weight loss way per se -- I know the only thing that matters is calories in, calories out. But mostly just gaining muscle whilst on a calorie deficit.

Right now, I do 4-5 days of resistance cardio with 1-2 20ish minute long sessions of heavy strength training. I want to start building more strength, I just can't seem to bring myself to do more than that. I just enjoy my spin classes too much, and the best workout is the one you like to do, right? :) However, I'm mostly interested in shifting body comp rather than actual weight loss. I keep reading conflicting articles online about whether too much cardio can get in the way of building strength. Some sources suggest that if I'm really serious about strength training I should get rid of cardio completely. I feel like that's gotta be b.s. and you can do both simultaneously, but what do I know. Has anyone made any sense of the madness?

tl;dr how are my spin instructors so ripped and how can I do that too? ;)

It takes time, consistency (especially diet) and dedication. Their gains did not happen overnight.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    If you are interested on increasing your strength and body comp you would do well to follow an established programme. (I’ll link below)
    There is also a great thread on recomposition which will give you good guidance. (Link below)

If you still want to lose a few lbs but are at, or close to, a normal BMI have your deficit at 250 cals per day for a half pound loss per week.
    You can still follow the concept of a recomp when losing slowly, then just transition into it when you reach your goal weight.

As far as cardio goes, you have to decide which is your priority and preference at this point in time.
    Things can always change, be open to that.

I prefer lifting x 3 a week and mild cardio/LISS on alternate days.
    2days a week full body compound can work well too, you just have to make sure you hit each body part 2X a week. (Check the programmes in the list)

You may have to look at cutting back your cardio while you adjust to a new lifting programme, it can be stressful on the body.

One thing to look out for is underfuelling/ overtraining. You need to fuel your workouts, so be sure to eat back those exercise cals, even the few you get for lifting.

Cheers, h.

Excellent programmes to chose from.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Recomp discussions and guidance.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I suspect "too much" cardio can interfere with mass gains, but "too much" is not a simple idea. Recovery and fueling are in the picture. Substantial cardio can coexist with strength improvement (elites in my sport, rowing, do it), and maybe with mass increase, with proper intake and pacing.

Are you maintaining, or losing? Your spin, to the limited extent it's strength-y**, is all legs, and only some of the leg muscles. That's IMO going to bear on the recovery question. Upper body strength won't as much conflict in recovery terms . . . and that's still oversimplifying.

I don't really have an answer, but maybe just trying to add some considerations to the scenario. I don't do much direct strength work, which is a Bad Plan, admittedly. I pretty much never do any substantial leg work in on-water rowing season, and less of upper-body pull, because - especially as a li'l ol' lady - I can't recover adequately if I do whole body strength and rowing on alternate days, and for me, rowing has priority.

Upper body push, OTOH, is more manageable for me even in season. I still need adequate nutrition and rest/sleep, but it's not taxing the same muscle groups intensely. Off season, I might work more with the rowing muscle groups strength-wise, but I still think more about balancing (with upper push and lower pull, loosely speaking) for injury avoidance. But that's all about my interests, goals, enjoyment, priorities, needs, etc.

At some point, you need to think about your priorities, specific and general recovery needs, nutrition/fueling, etc.

Just some thoughts.

** Not a diss; I love spin, too!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    When people say “too much cardio can interfere with strength gains”, they are making the common mistake of taking advice meant for people who want to achieve maximal genetic gains and misapplying that to the average person who is looking for “gains”.

The average person, especially the average person just starting out, can do as much cardio as they want and still achieve gains in muscle strength and size.
  • pdmatthews
    pdmatthews Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you are new to lifting or lifting less than 6 months, then I would swap to a full body workout 3x a week. I’d split cardio from weights completely and do 2 sessions a week which means 2 rest days. Maybe weights, cardio, weights, rest, cardio, weights,rest - something like that.

I’d eat at a deficit - depends but if you’re carrying some fat you can be quite aggressive here. As long as you’re progressing lifts you can adjust if not.

Full body I mean
    Horizontal push. Eg bench press
    Row eg seated row
    Vertical press eg overhead press (standing)
    Chin ups
    Squat
    Deadlift or Romanian deadlift

Throw in some dips and curls and I think your good. I’d alternate between heavy efforts - so one day really push on bench and squat, next time push on deadlift and ohp and ease up on bench

For me frequency is king for building muscle but you’ll need to be very conscious of recovery vs fat burning deficit

On cardio high intensity intervals or steady state is up to you. In my experience both work

Hth
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @Chieflrg, I alway walk away from your posts better informed, thanks.

Cheers, h.