Budget autumnal meals?

Heir0fFir3
Heir0fFir3 Posts: 50 Member
I'm trying to do a meal plan for the week, but I can't think of anything I want. With autumn rapidly coming in I want something warm and comforting

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Soups
    Chili
    Tray bakes
    IMHO, fall/winter best time of the year for cooking!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    If your focus is partly budgetary you can’t go far wrong with bean or lentil casseroles of various types. Dry beans are cheaper but canned are still budget friendly.

If you’re a meat eater so completely replacing it doesn’t satisfy you, you can stretch the meat using beans/lentils and vegetables.

You can change flavour profiles of any of these by simply throwing in a few add-ins and switching up the herbs and spices, so what is basically the same set of ingredients can end up a very different meal. Great for budgeting too!

Hearty soups maybe with homemade bread or quick soda bread. Rice based dishes, pasta...

Beyond that, without knowing your personal tastes and the way you like to eat, not sure I can offer anything else!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-dutch-split-pea-soup-1129011
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

I do dutch split pea soup in huge batches to freeze. I haven't tried the chicken cassoulet yet, but it is the plan when I next do batch cooking with a friend who needs help making freezer meals. Both stretch cheaper cuts of meat with dried beans.

• Shepherds pie, you can chuck in a handful of lentils and loads of veg to make it go further.

All the lovely soup, my favourites are leek and potato (I add pearl barley so it thickens into more of a stew) carrot and lentil, roast butternut squash.
    Have it with oatcakes and hummous.
  • tmrussell1215
    tmrussell1215 Posts: 4 Member
    Ravioli Vegetable soup
    Potato soup (use cauliflower in place of potatoes)
    Chicken w/ salsa in crockpot
  • Heir0fFir3
    Heir0fFir3 Posts: 50 Member
    Thanks all, some of these sound really good for these horrible cold days
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Mmm. I'm inspired!

Think I will make a creamy butternut squash soup and a loaf of crusty bread. (Now off to Google in hopes it will be only 60 degrees today 🙂)