Calories in Sourdough Starter

A diary app I was using crashed and I lost several obscure calorie counts, including sourdough starter. Sourdough starter is not the sum of the ingredients. Respiration takes place and energy is released. I remember the count being 15-20% shy of the raw ingredients. Please don't come back with the raw ingredient count. Anybody can figure that out, and it's wrong.

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I’d suggest you do some research via Google because there are way too many variants in an individual starter for any of us to guess at.

Type of flour(s) used, how old your starter is, how much and how often you feed/discard and use parts of it.

Quite honestly, as someone who uses a sourdough starter regularly I think it’s virtually impossible to even approach any form of accuracy for the starter itself.

If my life depended on figuring out a calorie count for a loaf made using a starter I’d calculate the other ingredients in the loaf and add the equivalent extra weight of the starter as if it were just the same volume of flour. I can think of no other way to do it!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Which app crashed?
  • deanofdance
    deanofdance Posts: 2 Member
    RedNoteBook
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Isn't starter a very small portion of the final loaf? I'm trying to figure out why the precise calories matter.