Can I trust my new dial/analog scale?

MrsPinterest34
MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
edited September 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
My digital scale stopped working after 4-5 years of service. Such a tragedy. I tried changing the batteries and it didn’t work. It’s gone for good. I wanted to get another digital scale at my local Target store but all the negative reviews scared me. So I was frustrated and bought my first dial scale.
Problem! When I weighed my self this past week I was 159.5lbs. I restarted my weight lose journey 2 weeks ago at 160lbs. I’ve lost 2 lbs based on my digital but I’ve gone back up thanks to PMS. Tom starts in 2 days .

This morning I stepped on my new scale it said 150lb. I weighed my 10lbs and 16lbs dumbbells to check for accuracy and had no issues. I even stepped on the scale while holding one 8 lbs dumbbell and then 10lbs dumbbells and it showed 158lbs and 160lbs on the scale.
So I’m not sure if my digital scale was probably no longer working this past week or my new scale is just broken.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Given that your dumbells are matching up, I would say the issue was likely because of your digital scale having issues before it died. I would try to weigh on a third party scale just to get confirmation. They usually have them at the supermarket. Just account a pound or 2 for clothes. No two scales are exactly alike, and they will produce slightly different readings, but it shouldn't be as large a gap as you are seeing.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Analogs are super easy to calibrate for precisely this reason.

Considering that your dumbbells are calibrating it correctly, it's safe to presume that your digital scale was on the fritz for a while before it finally died on you.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Given that your dumbells are matching up, I would say the issue was likely because of your digital scale having issues before it died. I would try to weigh on a third party scale just to get confirmation. They usually have them at the supermarket. Just account a pound or 2 for clothes. No two scales are exactly alike, and they will produce slightly different readings, but it shouldn't be as large a gap as you are seeing.

Yeah the 10lbs difference is concerning. My job has a digital scale and I think a beam scale too. I’ll check tomorrow morning with both and see the difference.
  • MrsPinterest34
    Analogs are super easy to calibrate for precisely this reason.

Considering that your dumbbells are calibrating it correctly, it's safe to presume that your digital scale was on the fritz for a while before it finally died on you.

This was my reasoning for buying the analog scale because I assumed it’s more accurate than digital.