Pre-logging food

I've just pre-logged all my food for the week (mon-fri). I thought I'd get ahead and log my meals/drinks/snacks for the week to help me plan and stick to the budget.

I've only done this before for 1-2 days ahead. I suppose my question is... is doing this for the whole week getting obsessive?

It can be flexible but I've got the calories almost exact on each day (and I'm feeling good how organized it feels!)

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I think if you recognize that things sometimes can and do change, it's fine to do this!

For me a lot of my meals fit together in such a way that I already know I'm going to be eating roughly the right calories and macros each weekday. But when I first started using this site, I prelogged a LOT more.

For me the best thing about prelogging is figuring out days that I may be high or low on calories and other things. For example, I may realize I have two lower calorie, low fat days, which for me would bring on some cravings and grumpy attitude. So I adjust!
  • jasmine_belle
    jasmine_belle Posts: 40 Member
    Thank you for your replies. Sounds like I'm on the right track then, I was worried about over thinking it all. I suppose it does help save time later and yes that's a good point about macros, thanks. :)
  • kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    I do that too. It helps me stay on track knowing what I’m going to eat, it’s so much less stressful for me than logging it after I eat and finding out I went way over. I only grocery shop once a week, so I have to meal plan before I shop so I know what to buy.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I have never done 5 days. I have done 1 or 2 days but it is your log you run it for you not for what is popularly done at MFP.

Nowadays I only pre-log restaurant food (when possible) or food that I do not know very well. At some point I was able to start putting the puzzle together on my own and hit the right calories. I still log everything after because I would not trust my semi-intuitive eating on an ongoing basis. I believe I could keep to a calorie goal for a few days or more if I had no access to MFP for some reason.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    I log meals for the day every morning. That lets me decide what I’m in the mood for for breakfast. I usually have three options. Dinner is planned out a week in advance. Then I see what I have available in calories and sodium and plan lunch and snacks.
  • jasmine_belle
    jasmine_belle Posts: 40 Member
    dodea48 wrote: »
    "To thine own self be true" Is the food prepared in advance as well?

No, most of the food is only prepared the day before or at the time. I do a weekly shop so I know what needs eating up in the house!

It's worked so far this week, I've swapped a few things around so it's not set in stone.

It's interesting to see how others do it. But it's true what some have said, everyone's different and you need to find what works for you. Good advice, thank you!