Cut carbs, can sleep thru night!

I'm 39. For a long time, I'd get up twice a night to take a squirt. I dropped my carbs by more than half, none for breakfast and lunch, and some at dinner. Now I can sleep straight through. Just info for anyone who finds it useful 😀

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    For how long?

Your non-squirting nights may be temporary. If it has not been a month or so yet your body may not have adjusted to the dietary change yet.
  • NovusDies
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    It hasn't been a month, but about a week and a half so far.

You might get lucky and it might be the end for now. Add 6 to 8 more years to your life (your profile says 39) and you might find yourself back at it regardless.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    It hasn't been a month, but about a week and a half so far.

You might get lucky and it might be the end for now. Add 6 to 8 more years to your life (your profile says 39) and you might find yourself back at it regardless.

Right? :lol:

I've never slept through the night without a bathroom break at four hours unless I'm dehydrated.
  • elitesportsdude
    elitesportsdude Posts: 17 Member
    I have to try this, i wake up multiple times through the night to use the bathroom for years
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    2-3g Water for every carb gram consumed (i.e. carbohydrate) so this isn't completely unsurprising.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,723 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    2-3g Water for every carb gram consumed (i.e. carbohydrate) so this isn't completely unsurprising.

Given that the digestion/metabolization process takes time, it seems like eating carbs late (rather than early) might mitigate the tendency toward overnight urinary urges.

But maybe the time horizon is shorter than eight hours, I dunno - though based on watching the water-weight effects of carbs on the bodyweight scale, I'd bet on 8+ hours, if you made me bet. It would be an interesting n=1 experiment, but I'm not going to be the one to run it. ;)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I am 56.

I do not eat a low carb diet.

Most nights I sleep through without waking for toilet break.

That's awesome! What's your activity level like? I should add that I'm pretty sedentary outside of the gym, and I go to the gym first thing early in the morning. So I think this is another reason that I don't need a lot of carbohydrate for energy during the day.

I think, based on what I've read if you have a lot of excess sugar in your system then it just goes to your urine.

I would call my activity level lightly active - my job entails being on my feet and moving around for much of the day and I sometimes do light sports and I walk about 30 minutes most days.

Unless you are poorly controlled diabetic or diabetic on some medications which excrete excess sugar via urine (Janumet, Januvia) you should not be having any glucose in your urine.

Look, nothing against low carb, although it isnt for me - I just dont think it has much connection to night time urination.

although I guess if your n=1 shows otherwise for you individually, thats great!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    66 here, I eat my carbs and very, very, rarely have ever had to get up to pee.
    Those nights I have had to get up have usually included a little more alcohol than needed.

SO gets up at least once, and more often x2 a night, and he’s not even 60 yet! He eats his carbs too.

Do report back every 2 weeks with how this is going.

Cheers, h.
  • NovusDies
    66 here, I eat my carbs and very, very, rarely have ever had to get up to pee.
    Those nights I have had to get up have usually included a little more alcohol than needed.

SO gets up at least once, and more often x2 a night, and he’s not even 60 yet! He eats his carbs too.

Do report back every 2 weeks with how this is going.

Cheers, h.

I hate you so much. :wink:

I am on moderate carbs and I am usually up twice sometimes 3 times. I never get up during the 4 o'clock hour though. I find that odd. Every other hour is fair game but I can't remember ever seeing 4:## on the clock.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Don’t hate me @NovusDies, my not getting up to pee in the night is based on something I heard when I was very young, and believed.
    It was something like...

‘your body switches of the wee mechanism while you are asleep, so as long as you are asleep you won’t wee.’

I really took this to heart, so even now when I wake up and think I may need to pee I tell myself to go back to sleep so I won’t, and I don’t.

All in my head at this stage of the game for me, but there is actually a hormone that does come into play with night time urination. Don’t know much about it though.

On the other hand, all I need to do during the day is hear running water and I am running for the toilet.

Hope that makes you love me again B)

Cheers, h.
  • PappaGman
    PappaGman Posts: 3 Member
    What foods have you switched too I can't seem to keep carbs down lower than my goal

• NovusDies
    Don’t hate me @NovusDies, my not getting up to pee in the night is based on something I heard when I was very young, and believed.
    It was something like...

‘your body switches of the wee mechanism while you are asleep, so as long as you are asleep you won’t wee.’

I really took this to heart, so even now when I wake up and think I may need to pee I tell myself to go back to sleep so I won’t, and I don’t.

All in my head at this stage of the game for me, but there is actually a hormone that does come into play with night time urination. Don’t know much about it though.

On the other hand, all I need to do during the day is hear running water and I am running for the toilet.

Hope that makes you love me again B)

Cheers, h.

I have tried that. I end up with a bladder that aches.

I had a sibling that took 8 years to stop wetting the bed and stopped after an alarm was placed to initiate waking up to go.

I do think that unless you are sick your other bathroom business is shut down while you sleep but your bladder definitely fills. If I recall my biology correctly there is a mechanism that recycles the contents if you don't relieve yourself which is why it is so much darker even when properly hydrated until mid morning.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    i'm the opposite. since i've been eating pretzels before bed, i don't get up to pee at all.