Fruit Measurements

Options
I frequently eat watermelon and grapes. I use a food scale and I have a question. Is 100 grams considered a half cup of watermelon/grapes? Or should I use ounces. Thanks!

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    grams is more accurate.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Definitely grams and disregard how many ‘cups’ that is. A gram is a gram! There’s no benefit to figuring out how many cups that equals.

The more you deal in grams the less sense cup measurements make! 😂
  • cheyeneinthesprings
    Options
    Also, do you type in "USDA" after foods to ensure more accuracy?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Also, do you type in "USDA" after foods to ensure more accuracy?

The best way is to find the USDA entries that MFP itself input. You can copy the USDA syntax ("raspberries, raw") and then if it has lots of measurement options, including the 100 g one, you've found it. Anything with USDA in the title is a user input from the USDA and should be double-checked the first time you use it (although usually those are better entries vs the average).
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i type USDA and grams, but i also check the USDA to make sure the listing is correct - sometimes they're wrong as people read things wrong or have typos.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    Options
    or just pick an entry around the average mark.

If water melon comes in at around 30 calories for 100g (according to google) then it really wont matter if you are using an entry that says 28 or 32 calories.

But if you see one that says 500 calories or 1 calorie amongst a general consensus of around 30, dont pick that one.
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Since you have the food scale, just enter by weight. Find an entry that has the calories listed based on grams. Change to the amount you eat.