Do I have to eat healthy all the time to lose weight?

Options
My goal is to lose fat. I love sweet food. I feel cutting out this completely will lead to binging or something else. My goal is to lose 15 pounds. I tired low carb, carb cycling in the past and they never worked. Now I just want to eat the same amount of macros everyday. But I’m scared this will cause a plateau. Wat do I do? Please advice me?
I want to have a treat everyday. Can I have one as long as this fits in my macros for the day? If I do this, will it affect progress?

Replies

• QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    You do not need to eat "healthy", which is an arbitrary word without a defined meaning, in order to lose weight. You only need to eat less than your body burns. Not only can you have a treat everyday, but I would think that eating a treat along with the rest of your diet would help make it "healthy" as it would be enjoyable and sustainable.

Just be aware that no matter how you do it, losing 15 pounds should be at a slow rate, so you may not always see progress on the scale every week. But that doesn't mean that you are off track or that it is holding up your progress.

I find your post always so accurate and helpful! This is very sound advice!! I will follow it my own self.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I lost 45 lbs eating pretty much anything I want, just less of it. Being very aware that there was a limit to what I could ingest and hope to burn off that day. You have a calorie budget and its up to you to determine how you want to fill it. I discovered that pretty early on that I could more easily do this by making choices that didn't have such a big calorie hit, but if I really wanted that ice cream cone, I had it.

There are lots of things or programs or plans that claim to help you lose weight, but in reality they are for the most part eating strategies to help reduce calories (Meal timing, toying with macros, skipping sugars or carbs. etc...). They certainly work for some people, the thing is to find what you can sustain and live with long term.

My advice is to not try something that you cannot do long term.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    You do not need to eat "healthy", which is an arbitrary word without a defined meaning, in order to lose weight. You only need to eat less than your body burns. Not only can you have a treat everyday, but I would think that eating a treat along with the rest of your diet would help make it "healthy" as it would be enjoyable and sustainable.

Just be aware that no matter how you do it, losing 15 pounds should be at a slow rate, so you may not always see progress on the scale every week. But that doesn't mean that you are off track or that it is holding up your progress.

^^^This covers it...
  • DiscipleOfChrist29
    Options
    I'm a binge eater so if I have one treat, I'm generally eating ALL THE TREATS. If I have to have sweets, it has to be occasionally unless it's a fake sweet treat like a keto dessert with fake sugars or stevia. Know thyself....
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Not all the time, not even half the time, not even at all. You only need to eat healthy if eating healthy is one of your goals. For weight loss, calories and sustainability are all that matters. Since you appear to find daily snacking more sustainable, see how you can fit it into your budget and as long as you are logging correctly and staying within calories, weight loss is almost guaranteed.
  • padawan2302
    padawan2302 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Technically you are all correct - you lose weight by having a calorific deficit. But to encourage people to continue eating unhealthily is denying the obvious health benefits from eating more of a healthy diet. The benefits for your heart, liver, blood pressure, diabetese etc, etc. from cutting out less healthy food are there for all to see. It's somewhat dangerous to encourage someone to eat what they want as long as its in the right amount. That's like saying if I ate nothing but cheese burgers for a year i'd be ok as long as I was lighter. Probably have serious heart disease, good chance of a stroke or liver failure as well, but what the hey, I've lost some weight.