Turnip and carrot "pancakes"

hmhill17
hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
I made a carrot and turnip "mash" the other day. I thought of about 12 ways to do it better after the fact, but that's beside the point now. I have the mash left though so I'm thinking add an egg, some whole wheat flour to get the right stickiness, and fry it in some olive oil, and I'll have something pretty good. Other thought was panko, or whole wheat bread crumbs, instead of the flour. Thoughts/ideas/opinions?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I’m not a good cook, but that’s how I make potato pancakes, so I think it might work. Then again, I use an egg and seasoned bread crumbs (and cheese) in grated zucchini pancakes. That might be good, too.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    I'm Irish and carrot & parsnips is a food I grew up with. Sounds similar to what you made mashing turnip & carrot.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I wouldn't even add flour or breadcrumbs. If the mash is thick enough, flatten into burger shapes and pan fry. Have fun!
  • jackers2399
    jackers2399 Posts: 1 Member
    Something we live on us Irish lol yummy
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    I made a carrot and turnip "mash" the other day. I thought of about 12 ways to do it better after the fact, but that's beside the point now. I have the mash left though so I'm thinking add an egg, some whole wheat flour to get the right stickiness, and fry it in some olive oil, and I'll have something pretty good. Other thought was panko, or whole wheat bread crumbs, instead of the flour. Thoughts/ideas/opinions?

Skip the flour. Blend in cottage cheese (protein) and then mix in the egg. Shape into patties and bake on parchment. Skip the frying. Not needed. But if you do want to use the pan, just brush the pan with oil, thats enough.

Great idea - do you use smooth or crumbly cottage cheese?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'd just make some gravy and add a protein side. Mini Sunday dinner!
  • Chris144mph
    Chris144mph Posts: 66 Member
    I'd just make some gravy and add a protein side. Mini Sunday dinner!

OMG why have I never thought to do this before! Sounds yummy! 😋