khaledghandour Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good night to everyone se ya later
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Hubba hubba

What's the meaning of hubba

Hubba hubba is an old expression indicating someone is sexually attractive or a situation or statement is sexually suggestive. These days it's seems to be used humorously -- if only because saying it seriously would likely be called out as inappropriate in most situations. Also, saying it seriously would indicate that you are at least as old as Joe Biden.

Geez, I am not that old. I did like watching “Laugh In” though, but I was a little kid. I think HubbaHubba is where I learned the phrase.

:smile: Well, I'm not that old either, but when I hear someone of the Baby Boomer generation or younger use it, it always strikes me that there is a humor, or "irony," or silliness to their sense of using the expression, totally apart from whatever humor might be involved in the actual meaning of indicating praise of someone's appearance or trying to inject sexual innuendo into a situation. I still occasionally run into men of roughly Biden's age that I have heard use it without that added sense of "isn't it silly that I'm using this silly word."

I think I learned hubba hubba from cartoons that were made before I was born. It also seems like the sort of thing sailors in "McHale's Navy" would have said about a nurse (female, of course, both because nurses in WWII would most likely have been female and because a TV sitcom from circa 1960 was bound to be hetero normative).
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hubba hubba

Hubba hubba is an old expression indicating someone is sexually attractive or a situation or statement is sexually suggestive. These days it's seems to be used humorously -- if only because saying it seriously would likely be called out as inappropriate in most situations. Also, saying it seriously would indicate that you are at least as old as Joe Biden.

Geez, I am not that old. I did like watching “Laugh In” though, but I was a little kid. I think HubbaHubba is where I learned the phrase.

:smile: Well, I'm not that old either, but when I hear someone of the Baby Boomer generation or younger use it, it always strikes me that there is a humor, or "irony," or silliness to their sense of using the expression, totally apart from whatever humor might be involved in the actual meaning of indicating praise of someone's appearance or trying to inject sexual innuendo into a situation. I still occasionally run into men of roughly Biden's age that I have heard use it without that added sense of "isn't it silly that I'm using this silly word."

I think I learned hubba hubba from cartoons that were made before I was born. It also seems like the sort of thing sailors in "McHale's Navy" would have said about a nurse (female, of course, both because nurses in WWII would most likely have been female and because a TV sitcom from circa 1960 was bound to be hetero normative).

McHale’s Navy was after my bedtime. Lol
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Hubba hubba

McHale’s Navy was after my bedtime. Lol

I only watched it after it was in syndication, so it was always on during the daytime.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Hubba hubba

Thanks for full explanation though I'm not an English native person

Believe me, there are a lot of native English speakers who don't know that expression (including, I suspect, most people under 50 or 60 :smile: ) -- possibly whole countries of them, as I believe it's just an American expression, from around World War II , I should think, based on the movies I've seen it used in.

I know the expression, and while I'm old, I'm not that old. Also not American.

Well, the spread of American popular culture can be pretty pervasive.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Hubba hubba

Hubba hubba means I need more information.

It's a long story ...what information you need it precisely

I love long stories.

Can we go somewhere else to give hou the long story.. actually I have to reply to each one here

I just threw up in my mouth

IKR
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I think eating healthily whether that be keto or just generally more nutritiously and/or losing weight , can make people feel better and more energetic and thus have positive effects on their sex life.

Thats all - nothing magic about keto or any other way of eating that acheives this.

sorry to make serious comment in ridiculous thread B)

and i think we can skip going anywhere else for the long story :s:/
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Hubba hubba

Believe me, there are a lot of native English speakers who don't know that expression (including, I suspect, most people under 50 or 60 :smile: ) -- possibly whole countries of them, as I believe it's just an American expression, from around World War II , I should think, based on the movies I've seen it used in.

In England this is a well known expression. It isn't well used anymore, but certainly well known
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    Hubba hubba

In England this is a well known expression. It isn't well used anymore, but certainly well known

I agree, it’s well known but not used (thankfully)!

I’m fairly sure I first came across it from the TV series ‘Happy Days’. I don’t recall The Fonz using the expression but I can definitely picture Ritchie, Ralph and Pottsie (and Joanie and Chachi (sp?)) using it. So a US 1950s teen buzzword I guess! 😂
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Hubba hubba

im 41 and know it ....
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    jokes and eyerolls aside, i think it is not uncommon for people (of both genders) to find ...er...... added benefits to living a healthier lifestyle in general. no matter how they decide to go about it. Much of it is likely psychological - if you are eating better, and possibly exercising, you feel better about yourself, and can be in more of a .....mood.
This discussion has been closed.