Pre Diabetes

My fasting BS was 109 and I would appreciate food ideas to reduce this. Mainly low sugar snacks.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Hard boiled eggs
    Raw veggies and a salsa or possibly hummus or yogurt based dip
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I have salsa. Thank you
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    I don't have prediabetes but i do have an issue with my blood sugar. The biggest change that helped me was swapping to lower carb breakfasts. I grew up eating cereal or toast for breakfast. Now i tend to have eggs cooked in a variety of ways, greek yoghurt with berries or chia pudding. Whichever ones i don't have for breakfast i can then meal plan into snacks. Specifically for snacks i tend to eat nuts, cheese (like cheese strings or babybell) fruit with peanut butter (no added sugar). My doctor recommended mixing snacks so when I do have sugar you have it with fat or protein too.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I'm not sure if there's a direct correlation, but in the the last year the only change to my diet was to include an egg every day, and now my cholesterol went up and it's in "over the top" of the range. I never had a problem with it before. And i eat plenty of veggies and very little of red meat and animal' fat. So i can only see eggs as a reason for this change.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    I think the most effective thing you can do is to get up and exercise first thing in the morning before eating. Allow your body a chance to use up all the excess sugar.
  • nurees
    nurees Posts: 23 Member
    A1C is now 6.4. Wake up to get back on track. Logging MFP and WW both for now. Need accountability and like the nutritional breakdowns in MFP. Scared. Not gonna lie. Dad is on insulin already, don’t wanna end up there too.
  • MeredithMinch
    MeredithMinch Posts: 8 Member
    I also am prediabetic with high cholesterol. My mom has diabetes and my dad has heart disease. I pretty much cut out non-fruit sugars and refined carbs, cut down on dairy and have been trying to walk more often, eating lots of fruits, veg, leaner proteins, less restaurant food, weighing and measuring portions etc. Nothing trendy or unsustainable. I do more meal prep and got into japanese cooking too, which I always liked but am getting deeper into it because it’s low in diary and has a lot of veggie recipes that are umami-rich and satisfying.

Since May I managed to get almost out of prediabetic range and lowered my cholesterol 20 points. Hoping to be out of prediabetic range for real by New Years!

Friend me if you want to see my diary.

I got my annual physical lab results last week and learned I'm also pre-diabetic with high-cholesterol. So I've adopted the same changes you made! I didn't like chicken and fish but bought an air fryer a few weeks ago. I now love chicken and salmon! I buy them frozen and they take about 8 minutes in the air fryer. It's awesome!
    I'm also eating a ton of veggies! Who is this woman?

But frustrated I;ve been carb free for 8 days and the scale hasn't moved. But I love to hear you're almost non pre-diabetic. This encourages me to keep doing this for my health -- I want to lower my risk of diabetes, heart disease, etc.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    I have failed in the past when I focus too much on weight loss as a goal. Working hard to adjust to considering the medical issues and now that weight is coming off again, examining my fears related to weight loss (failure, being or looking different because I have always been fat, change in general).
    I really do not want to have to pay for meds for diabetes and health problems, health insurance deductibles are terrible. I've seen it with my mom especially, every medical thing could be worse because of the diabetes etc etc.

I still eat carbs but almost all of them are unrefined, mixed whole grains, wasa crackers and I try to look at my food and ask how it can be made more sustaining and healthy, food as medicine. I devote a lot of time to cooking now and if I am going to go out to a restaurant then I try to walk there and back, taking public transit more to add steps and stairs. I really hope that I can keep going but I feel pretty good? Enjoying what I eat and do.
  • geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    Agree with Kimney above. First make sure that your BMI is in the normal range, i.e. not overweight. And then concentrate on various types of exercise including strength training and cardio.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    edited October 2019
    In the am, I eat whole cottage cheese and berries when possible. Fruit is not absorbed the same, those with fiber tend to be better for sugar stability (in my personal experience). I was pre-diabetic for probably 12 years, and had just ticked over by a measure to diabetic. I found I was actually eating too much of everything, including protein. Going to smaller portions (snacks being 100 cals - like almonds helped). I had already been watching sugars for several years - so most of my things had splenda or low sugar. But realistically, our bodies do not need any processed sugar at all. Oh my sugar levels are now normal after 5 months of eating less quantity, and lower cals (low sugar remained consistent). I added whole dairy. I water jog 4 days a week, eat about 1/2 of what I did before (never regular soda ever and if juice, its the equivalent of a shot glass of juice). I'm now normal range.
  • thkdiffgirl
    thkdiffgirl Posts: 35 Member
    109 is not bad. There is a dawn phenomenon with blood sugars and my BS are almost highest first thing im the am. My A1C is normal, what is yours? I usually eat protein before any meal if I am eating carbs. Of course healthy meats/fruits/veggies.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    edited October 2019
    As others have said, losing weight and moving around more is a good idea. I was actually diabetic 6 months ago. I lost 45 pounds, exercise a lot, and cut processed sugar out of my diet.

My 1AC is now normal; cholesterol is normal; and blood pressure is on the low side of normal.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Thank you all!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited October 2019
    nurees wrote: »
    A1C is now 6.4. Wake up to get back on track. Logging MFP and WW both for now. Need accountability and like the nutritional breakdowns in MFP. Scared. Not gonna lie. Dad is on insulin already, don’t wanna end up there too.

I feel ya. My Dad had out of control Diabetes (mostly his fault) and lost both legs and eventually his life. My A1C was 6.1 last April. after losing 75 lbs, it was at 5.2! You can do this..just stay consistent with your calorie deficit! EDIT: OOPS, forgot I already posted..oh well, the same holds true :)