how to recover from back injury from deadlift?

Options
im new to deadlift.
i dont know what i did wrong but now I have back pain.
What's a quick way to solve it?

Replies

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Follow these instructions:

https://startingstrength.com/video/the-deadlift-teaching-method

Post a video of yourself performing the movement to allow evaluation of your form.

Find a qualified coach to instruct you in the proper execution of the lift...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    MRI.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    The other post was deleted, I'm assuming that this will be too. You're not allowed to ask for medical advice on myfitnesspal.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Doctor, physio therapist. Exercise injuries need to be taken seriously.
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    threewins wrote: »
    The other post was deleted, I'm assuming that this will be too. You're not allowed to ask for medical advice on myfitnesspal.

People often ask for medical advice here. Doesn't mean it's a good idea, but it does happen.

jonmarrow wrote: »
    im new to deadlift.

See a physiotherapist, and when you get back into the gym, get a trainer to show you proper form so you don't continue injuring yourself.

thank you, great advice.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    Doctor, physio therapist. Exercise injuries need to be taken seriously.

Especially back injuries.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    im new to deadlift.

There are no quick ways. Just as there are no quick ways to gain strength.

Whatever you do decide to do, I hope that doesn't include lifting until, a) you find out what you did and b) you learn enough to not re-injure yourself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm going to quote myself from your other thread:
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Ohmygod im gonna cry now.
    My back still hurts...what should I do to fix this?

Also can you guys confirm if this is the empty barbell Im supposed to be using for overhead press? https://imgur.com/KgSosHe

I've been hesitant to say anything, considering how this thread has been playing out. If you aren't even sure about what bar to use, and you've managed to hurt your back in 2 weeks, you NEED to pay one of the trainers there to help you. They can make sure your form is correct, and they can guide you through a proper program. You are very much an accident waiting to happen at this point. Seek professional, in person guidance.

Yes, @jonmarrow you need professional advice. Either from a trainer at the gym, or see your doctor for your back and in that visit get a referral for physical therapy, and they should be able to help you with your form as well.

You are just spinning your wheels here, and hurting yourself.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Stretch and foam roll.

Hot/cold treatment works well too. Last time I hurt my back deadlifting I went home and stretched/rolled out, did a hot/cold shower and then hit up my friend with an apartment pool and went and alternated between the hot tub/pool every 10 minutes for a few hours. It was 90% better the very next day.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    Stretch and foam roll.

Hot/cold treatment works well too. Last time I hurt my back deadlifting I went home and stretched/rolled out, did a hot/cold shower and then hit up my friend with an apartment pool and went and alternated between the hot tub/pool every 10 minutes for a few hours. It was 90% better the very next day.

You have no idea whether OP is suffering from soft tissue damage, skeletal damage, nerve damage, or something else, so it's really irresponsible to be doling out what amounts to medical advice.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Stretch and foam roll.

You have no idea whether OP is suffering from soft tissue damage, skeletal damage, nerve damage, or something else, so it's really irresponsible to be doling out what amounts to medical advice.

If OP is that concerned, he should see a doctor. Nothing of what I said would be harmful if it is more than a strain so it's not really "irresponsible" to give basic sports injury recovery advice.