mmapags wrote: »
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    You need to focus on the big, compound movements first...think bench, squat, deadlift, dips, pull-ups, standing overhead press. Once you have those down, then you can start adding accessory work. Eat to gain, follow a program, and apply the principles of progressive overload.

how long before i can start adding accessory work?

Do you even have any kind of definitive idea of what you want to accomplish?
    Stop worrying about the kinds of particulars that don't currently apply to your situaion and may or may not even apply to you in the future.
    Focus on the steps you should be taking now. Once you've completed those steps and met those goals, then establish your plan for step 2.
    In the meantime, chill out and take a few months to build up your strength base.

well yes I wonna gain strength but at the same time i dont want to neglect other important exercises such as lat pull, dumbbell curls, shoulder press etc. for too long. Hence, I am asking after how long I can start to slowly incorporate accessories into this program?
    I just realized I did something wrong.
    In the stronglifts guide it says to increase weight by 5lbs for every exercise's next run. I didn't realize it meant 5lbs in TOTAL. I have been putting 5lbs on each side of the bar when I really should have been putting 2.5 lbs on each side.

How can I fix this for my next exercise?

Why do you think those exercises are important? They're not. Not for a beginner who's already working all the same muscles with other movements.

You don't need to do lat pulls or dumbbell curls because you're already doing bent over barbell rows.
    You don't need to do shoulder press because you're already doing overhead press.

You don't need these accessory movements to progress in a beginner's strength training program and get stronger, which is your goal.
    Thus, they are not important.

As for how to fix the fact that you're supposed to go up in weight by 5 lbs total at the next session, simply go up by 5lbs at the next session. You can't (and don't need to) change what you've already done. Just adjust and proceed from here.

I agree with everything pretty much everyone has said here except I gotta point out that rows aren't going to help much with the pull-up motion. I haven't reviewed SL but when I put a friend on SS I had him also incorporate pull-ups and bw dips because those are extremely important for a strength base. Being able to pull/push your own bodyweight is not only important for the gym but just for life in general.

I cant do this..what was I thinking. This is so hard!

i effed up today doing OP and DeadLift. I first did squats, 17.5 lbs which was okay. I think I'm going pretty good at this.
    However, when it came to DL, 40 lbs, not sure what happened but I hurt my back to the point I can't move. Now I dont know how to fix this. Is there a simple video on YT that shows correct posture for it? I can't seem to find a simple video without the gym bro going on 15 minute useless

Did you not look at videos or ask for help before doing a complex exercise like a deadlift? Were you just kind of winging it? That is indeed a recipe for hurting yourself.

I am not a physical therapist but the conventional wisdom is you don't want to just lay around when you tweak your back even though maybe that sounds like a good idea. If your back will allow you to stand walk Etc you should keep doing so. Within reason.

Also remember that the bar weighs 45 pounds So when you say you squatted 17 1/2 pounds you really mean 62 and a half. That might sound like a nitpick but it's about accuracy. You squatted 62.5 lb literally.

thanks kid next to me was doing 135 lbs and he was doing 5 reps.

Yeah, your right. Quit all this and just go back to doing lat pulldowns with 5 lbs and dumbell curls.

i thought you wanted me to do stronglifts?

The poster was being sarcastic.

You seem to have some weird emotional attachment to lat pulls. If that’s what floats your boat, then fine, go do lat pulls all day if you want.

I mean, it won’t get you anywhere near your stated goals, but if you’d rather major in the minors and do a whole bunch of unnecessary exercises than learn good form and build functional strength with necessary ones, then we can’t stop you. Fill your boots. Just don’t come complaining here when the thing that wasn’t working before continues to not work.
    im find doing stronglifts.

what i dont get is, why is it that today i was not able to do overhead press with ease? i had great difficulty lifting 52.5 lbs. I was able to do 5sets of 5 reps but it took a lot from me. Same thing with DL, it felt so heavy that i injured my back.

does this mean this is max i can lift or that program is not working for me in terms of buiding strength?

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    It’s meant to feel heavy.

Injury probably means you’re doing something wrong. Have you checked your form?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    You need to focus on the big, compound movements first...think bench, squat, deadlift, dips, pull-ups, standing overhead press. Once you have those down, then you can start adding accessory work. Eat to gain, follow a program, and apply the principles of progressive overload.

Stop worrying about the kinds of particulars that don't currently apply to your situaion and may or may not even apply to you in the future.
    Focus on the steps you should be taking now. Once you've completed those steps and met those goals, then establish your plan for step 2.
    In the meantime, chill out and take a few months to build up your strength base.

well yes I wonna gain strength but at the same time i dont want to neglect other important exercises such as lat pull, dumbbell curls, shoulder press etc. for too long. Hence, I am asking after how long I can start to slowly incorporate accessories into this program?
    In the stronglifts guide it says to increase weight by 5lbs for every exercise's next run. I didn't realize it meant 5lbs in TOTAL. I have been putting 5lbs on each side of the bar when I really should have been putting 2.5 lbs on each side.

Why do you think those exercises are important? They're not. Not for a beginner who's already working all the same muscles with other movements.

You don't need to do lat pulls or dumbbell curls because you're already doing bent over barbell rows.
    You don't need to do shoulder press because you're already doing overhead press.

You don't need these accessory movements to progress in a beginner's strength training program and get stronger, which is your goal.

As for how to fix the fact that you're supposed to go up in weight by 5 lbs total at the next session, simply go up by 5lbs at the next session. You can't (and don't need to) change what you've already done. Just adjust and proceed from here.

I agree with everything pretty much everyone has said here except I gotta point out that rows aren't going to help much with the pull-up motion. I haven't reviewed SL but when I put a friend on SS I had him also incorporate pull-ups and bw dips because those are extremely important for a strength base. Being able to pull/push your own bodyweight is not only important for the gym but just for life in general.

Pullups primarily work the lats and biceps.
    Barbell rows work the lats, biceps, traps, rhomboids and the erector spinae.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    im fine doig
    ceiswyn wrote: »

i effed up today doing OP and DeadLift. I first did squats, 17.5 lbs which was okay. I think I'm going pretty good at this.
    However, when it came to DL, 40 lbs, not sure what happened but I hurt my back to the point I can't move. Now I dont know how to fix this. Is there a simple video on YT that shows correct posture for it? I can't seem to find a simple video without the gym bro going on 15 minute useless

Did you not look at videos or ask for help before doing a complex exercise like a deadlift? Were you just kind of winging it? That is indeed a recipe for hurting yourself.

I am not a physical therapist but the conventional wisdom is you don't want to just lay around when you tweak your back even though maybe that sounds like a good idea. If your back will allow you to stand walk Etc you should keep doing so. Within reason.

Also remember that the bar weighs 45 pounds So when you say you squatted 17 1/2 pounds you really mean 62 and a half. That might sound like a nitpick but it's about accuracy. You squatted 62.5 lb literally.

Yeah, your right. Quit all this and just go back to doing lat pulldowns with 5 lbs and dumbell curls.

You seem to have some weird emotional attachment to lat pulls. If that’s what floats your boat, then fine, go do lat pulls all day if you want.

I mean, it won’t get you anywhere near your stated goals, but if you’d rather major in the minors and do a whole bunch of unnecessary exercises than learn good form and build functional strength with necessary ones, then we can’t stop you. Fill your boots. Just don’t come complaining here when the thing that wasn’t working before continues to not work.

what i dont get is, why is it that today i was not able to do overhead press with ease? i had great difficulty lifting 52.5 lbs. I was able to do 5sets of 5 reps but it took a lot from me. Same thing with DL, it felt so heavy that i injured my back.

does this mean this is max i can lift or that program is not working for me in terms of buiding strength?

Dude, it's weight lifting. It's supposed to feel heavy.
    If it isn't taking a lot of effort, you're wasting your time.
    If you want to do easy movements with easy weight forever, that's up to you but you wont get stronger.
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Ohmygod im gonna cry now.
    My back still hurts...what should I do to fix this?

Also can you guys confirm if this is the empty barbell Im supposed to be using for overhead press? https://imgur.com/KgSosHe
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Also can you guys confirm if this is the empty barbell Im supposed to be using for overhead press? https://imgur.com/KgSosHe

See a doctor.

You should be able to use the same kind of bar for all the exercises. Ask at your gym how much that bar weighs, then you know how much you are lifting when it's empty.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Looks like an Olympic bar to me, so yes. You should be using that bar for every exercise.

• fitpal02020
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I've been hesitant to say anything, considering how this thread has been playing out. If you aren't even sure about what bar to use, and you've managed to hurt your back in 2 weeks, you NEED to pay one of the trainers there to help you. They can make sure your form is correct, and they can guide you through a proper program. You are very much an accident waiting to happen at this point. Seek professional, in person guidance.

how do you do your overhead press or how do u suggest beginners should do it?
  • fitpal02020
    Options
    im fine doig

If you want to do easy movements with easy weight forever, that's up to you but you wont get stronger.

but i thought i was gonna gain the strength at the same to be able to lift heavier
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You have to build a strength base.
    If the empty bar is heavy for you, it may take a little while before you can add weight. Ask a trainer at the gym to help you out, watch form videos, and keep practicing. Don't add weight until you can keep good form with the lighter weight. You will build strength, but it comes slowly.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    but i thought i was gonna gain the strength at the same to be able to lift heavier
    Eat more
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I've been hesitant to say anything, considering how this thread has been playing out. If you aren't even sure about what bar to use, and you've managed to hurt your back in 2 weeks, you NEED to pay one of the trainers there to help you. They can make sure your form is correct, and they can guide you through a proper program. You are very much an accident waiting to happen at this point. Seek professional, in person guidance.

Yes, @jonmarrow you need professional advice. Either from a trainer at the gym, or see your doctor for your back and in that visit get a referral for physical therapy, and they should be able to help you with your form as well.

You are just spinning your wheels here, and hurting yourself.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    im fine doig

From showing up? Or because you've done 3 workouts the rest will be easy because you're strong now?
    Why do you think you're supposed to be adding weight every time? To make sure it stays challenging.
    You're not gonna workout for one month and all of a sudden be a strength athlete. Strength takes takes time, patience and dedication.
This discussion has been closed.