I knew something was wrong with my wifes diet plan.

Options
124»

Replies

• MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Two things:
    This except if she doesn't take control and do it herself she wont maintain this....SHE has to want it bad enough not to get frustrated and walk away...you can make it easier for her by setting up her meals and her food for her but beyond that time to walk away from logging her food...

Eh, not so much. Just because she doesn't like the mechanics of logging doesn't mean she is doomed to fail. If they are working as a team and it works for them, if she is involved in the decision-making, obviously sticking to the plan, then I don't think that just because it's unorthodox, it's necessarily flawed.
    ... I would tell her of your mistake just in case it stops working. That way she'll be prepared if she has to take on a bigger deficit. If this was her first month it's likely much of that 8 pounds was water weight so next month may not be as successful. Yeah, play it out at 1800 but definitely tell her now so that you don't have to tell her after another month of her being used to eating that much.

Sounds like you two have already resolved this part, but I was in this camp as far as letting her know, It's her health, and ultimately her decision, and even if you hadn't made any adjustments at this time, it wouldn't blindside her later if it became necessary.

Congratulations to you for being a helpful, supportive partner and for being honest with your wife. Those qualities will serve you both well in a million ways. :flowerforyou:
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Two things:
    This except if she doesn't take control and do it herself she wont maintain this....SHE has to want it bad enough not to get frustrated and walk away...you can make it easier for her by setting up her meals and her food for her but beyond that time to walk away from logging her food...

Eh, not so much. Just because she doesn't like the mechanics of logging doesn't mean she is doomed to fail. If they are working as a team and it works for them, if she is involved in the decision-making, obviously sticking to the plan, then I don't think that just because it's unorthodox, it's necessarily flawed.
    ... I would tell her of your mistake just in case it stops working. That way she'll be prepared if she has to take on a bigger deficit. If this was her first month it's likely much of that 8 pounds was water weight so next month may not be as successful. Yeah, play it out at 1800 but definitely tell her now so that you don't have to tell her after another month of her being used to eating that much.

Sounds like you two have already resolved this part, but I was in this camp as far as letting her know, It's her health, and ultimately her decision, and even if you hadn't made any adjustments at this time, it wouldn't blindside her later if it became necessary.

Congratulations to you for being a helpful, supportive partner and for being honest with your wife. Those qualities will serve you both well in a million ways. :flowerforyou:

Hey shes my life, best friend and wife of 16years. I never lie to her, even if the truth hurts, i will always tell it to her. She was more relieved about lowering the calories considering that she knew she should be getting as close to it a possible. Lol she actually said, shes glad she doesn't have to try to eat so much. Her problem was not over eating. It was eating the wrong foods and eating a lot when the hunger built up. I walk with her every night with our dogs 6 days a week 4.2 km. Even though because of my plantar fasciitis i can only walk on my toes which is a task in itself.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    This is the weirdest ****ing thread ever.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Two things:

Hey shes my life, best friend and wife of 16years. I never lie to her, even if the truth hurts, i will always tell it to her. She was more relieved about lowering the calories considering that she knew she should be getting as close to it a possible. Lol she actually said, shes glad she doesn't have to try to eat so much. Her problem was not over eating. It was eating the wrong foods and eating a lot when the hunger built up. I walk with her every night with our dogs 6 days a week 4.2 km. Even though because of my plantar fasciitis i can only walk on my toes which is a task in itself.

No. You gain weight from too many calories, not "the wrong foods".
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I gained weight from too FEW calories. Upping mine made a big change for me resulting in a better, safer loss.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I gained weight from too FEW calories. Upping mine made a big change for me resulting in a better, safer loss.

No you did not gain weight from too few calories. If that could be true, you would have the solution to global food insecurity: hunger.

I recently "gained" five pounds, while eating a deficit. I was really stoked, because I've been looking leaner. I thought maybe I had managed to put on some muscle by eating more than I thought I was, while losing fat. Unfortunately a few days later I stepped on the scale and it turned out I was about the same weight as before.

Gaining weight while eating less than you expend would be a miracle, by definition. If you are putting on more weight than what can be explained by normal fluctuation, and it keeps up like that for a month or more, it means you are eating more than you think, or your tdee is less than you think.

It IS entirely possible for your TDEE to go up by more than you realize because you have more energy, better nutrition, and therefore change your behavior unconsciously such that you create a greater actual deficit than you would have with a lower intake. Please note that this is merely the difference between ACTUAL and NOMINAL deficits, but nonetheless a perfectly good reason to eat more. It is not, however, a good reason to go around assuming that people gain weight from having too great a deficit. Because we know for a fact it isn't true. The solution for someone underweight is too eat more, not to continue eating too little.