Running on dark mornings

Options
2»

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have a headlamp (Nathan) so I can see ahead of me and shoe lights clipped so drivers can see me
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Those are good, but i'd also clip on an LED to the back a headlamp. It's easier to gauge the distance, speed, and direction of a moving object when there are two light sources instead of one (according to studies). A high light source is also more visible from a distance or when you're near other car lights.

The Kalenji has a red light on the back.

I was saying it's safest to have two lights on the back.. preferably one at head level.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    When I run in town I use knuckle lights that my kids thought would be a good gag gift. They never thought I would use them. Reflective clothing and one of those round red lights that they give the kids at Halloween. I can set it to flashing and I clip it to the back of my toque so drivers can see me well.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I normally use a high school track when it's dark out, but I still wear a headlamp, reflective clothing and running shoes. Sometimes kids are out there or animals so it's good to see and be seen.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. Safety first !
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. Safety first !

If I had to run on the treadmill all winter, I wouldn't run at all. Staying inside is not the only way to be safe.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I already have (and have been using) hi-vis type clothing, and think I have solved the light issue.
    I have found that a head-torch with its elastic band set at its largest is big enough for me to wear as a belt (!). The light beam jiggles as I run but the lamp itself doesn’t and it isn’t annoying.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Chest strap works great for me and is super bright. I also have a treadmill. Enjoy your winter running
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    1) Headlamp to see where I'm going

2) LED/reflector vest so drivers see me.

This