Body building and weight lifting for dummy’s

Hi my names David i wanted to know if anyone has any time to help me out in 2012 I weighed 420 pounds it’s been a interesting and rewarding journey I currently weigh 210 Im just recently started weight lifting or lol well what I been able to figure out on my own .my goal is to gain muscle being at my previou s weight Acourse I have issues with my arms and belly . I’m sorta lost as to what best to do I looked into trainers but sadly I can not afford one . Can anyone help a Young men trying to better himself

Replies

• Focus on the main lifts like squats, bench, overhead press, barbell rows, and deadlifts. Bodyweight stuff like dips and pull-ups are also important to a strength base. Your core will get hit by the squats/deads/ohp but planks are worth doing until you can do 2 minutes each left/front/center.

Also, it's not necessary for a beginner, but I'm pretty much of the opinion that outside of the big 5 lifts, farmers carrys are the absolute KING of functionality. They literally hit every muscle in the body. You could easily start with some lighter dumbbells.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Way to go with that weight loss
    X 2 what the previous poster said - focus on Squats . Deadlift - OH Press , rowing etc - To get started look at Starting Strength , or Strong lifts - pick one and folllow it - eat somewhere near maintanence - you will figure that out
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited September 2019
    Start here
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Chose a beginner’s programme that suits you at this point in time, and progress from there.

Do read, and understand, all the write up on how to run the programme, and watch videos on form, frequently, especially if you can’t afford a trainer.

A straight linear progression is suitable for most people, but don’t feel that is the path you have to take, AllPro is also a good option.

Read the ‘most useful posts’ at the top of the subforum.

Cheers, h.
  • kyle0404
    kyle0404 Posts: 33 Member
    olmec2012 wrote: »
    Hi my names David i wanted to know if anyone has any time to help me out in 2012 I weighed 420 pounds it’s been a interesting and rewarding journey I currently weigh 210 Im just recently started weight lifting or lol well what I been able to figure out on my own .my goal is to gain muscle being at my previou s weight Acourse I have issues with my arms and belly . I’m sorta lost as to what best to do I looked into trainers but sadly I can not afford one . Can anyone help a Young men trying to better himself

When getting into lifting soreness and shock to the central nervous system can be a big setback. Always remember that your body was designed to move itself endlessly, meaning that as you condition yourself through consistent training you can always do as much bodyweight exercises as you want. These will not have any effect on your central nervous system. I would recommend following every weight training session with bodyweight untill you stop getting sore from the weights. So you might focus on bench press today for chest, in a few days do push-ups and dips, then the following week go back to the weights etc. This will allow you to consistently progress, and reduce injury risk. Main lifts are a good center point for each training session, but will not progress very far without accessory movements. Also, I realize this night not be the most popular opinion, but embrace the "bro lifts" if doing a bunch of curls makes you feel good\enjoy lifting, then do a bunch of curls. Things like that can help you stick with it when your motivation slips.
  • olmec2012
    olmec2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you so much I appreciate your advice
  • leonard41704
    leonard41704 Posts: 33 Member
    Bigger Leaner Stronger by Michael Matthews is the program that I ran for about a year and a half. I came across his book, then I purchased the training manual that he wrote. I put on 12 lbs of muscle. I’d suggest the 4 day split. Also, just start out light, and progress each week. That way you can skip all of the soreness that you tend to experience when starting a strength training program. I quit the program because I was getting too big. I’m 6’6” and was 365 lbs with 250lbs of lean body mass at that time. My body didn’t feel functional because my muscles were tight. I had tight hip flexors, quads, and hamstrings. It made my lower back sore more than I liked. My arms and shoulders were tight too, lol. That’s the only problem you may run into when running a strength training program.

Congrats on your journey. Have fun and enjoy the next phase of it. Keep us informed of your progress.