Fitbit steps and driving

Options
Just thought I'd share incase you didn't know and do use steps as a guideline of your day

Fitbit counts steps when driving, it can put your actual steps out of whack by thousands, it has me many times :s

Simple solution though, just put it on charge whilst driving, Fitbit doesn't count when on charge.

Just thought I'd randomly share this lol

Replies

• memurph88
    memurph88 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had no idea! Thanks for sharing :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit has never done this. I commute an hour each way daily and my Fitbit has never counted that as steps. I have a whopping 2300 steps right now and I drove 45 miles to get to work this morning...it would be way more if it was counting my driving.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Mine does not count anything at all when I am driving. Wow, that is really strange.
    The only odd thing I have noticed is. I have both a fit bit that I wear, and a iphone. Well when I go on walks I have the fitbit on, and listen to music via the iphone which also has a stepcounter on it. I started noticing this about 6 months ago. (just sort of scratched my head and thought ok). Is they are both showing different distances on them. The steps are normally within about 40 to 50 but actual miles walked can be up to a mile off.

I did look it up once, and something on about different heights, different length of strides and so on. I had gone through two rounds of PT for a back issue. So it may be part of issue. I kind of shrugged it all off, and keep walking. Just odd.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    What model?

You can adjust the sensitivity to mitigate against this.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    You should maybe contact FitBit about that, because in 6 years of wearing 4 different models of FitBits, that legit never happened to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Mine does not count anything at all when I am driving. Wow, that is really strange.
    The only odd thing I have noticed is. I have both a fit bit that I wear, and a iphone. Well when I go on walks I have the fitbit on, and listen to music via the iphone which also has a stepcounter on it. I started noticing this about 6 months ago. (just sort of scratched my head and thought ok). Is they are both showing different distances on them. The steps are normally within about 40 to 50 but actual miles walked can be up to a mile off.

I did look it up once, and something on about different heights, different length of strides and so on. I had gone through two rounds of PT for a back issue. So it may be part of issue. I kind of shrugged it all off, and keep walking. Just odd.

Your Fitbit is estimating mileage as per your steps...your phone is using GPS.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my FB One added steps while driving in our motor home over bumpy roads.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Where you wear it, and what you drive, and how you drive for sure influences it.

Device is looking for impacts.
    It seems people that wear it on wrist and hold on to steering wheel get same effect as holding onto shopping cart handle - few if any steps.

Unless car itself is just bouncing badly with whole body moving.

If wearing on body and you bounce in seat decently, it's usually a small distance associated with the steps seen - so minimum calorie impact.

But all day truck driver - get ready.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’ve noticed that my Fitbit does count driving as steps, though not enough to be commensurate with distance travelled. I have a theory as to why it does for some and not for others...

I wear my Fitbit on my left wrist and as I’m in the UK and drive a manual car it’s my gear shift hand. I think it’s the gear shift movement that ‘looks’ like a step arm swing.

Those who don’t see steps when driving may be wearing their device on their non gear shift arm or driving an automatic?
  • steeliebob
    steeliebob Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    As a river fishing guide, I row a boat for a living ..... mine counts my oarstrokes, since many of these are in pretty heavy water with plenty of effort, I don't mind it, I know it's every bit the effort of a step in the living room .... but always get grief from friends in challenges that "I'm cheating" :)
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I wear the Fitbit on my right wrist. I notice it adds steps when I'm shifting in my car with the manual transmission. In my husband's car - an automatic transmission - it doesn't..oh well. Shifting is a wee bit of exercise, no???? LOL
  • sugarcakes38
    sugarcakes38 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Interesting.
    Pffft. I WISH mine counted fake steps.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,859 Member
    Options
    Mine does not count my driving as steps. In fact, when I travel (frequently) I have to pull over and march around the car to get my 250 steps in during each hour of travel.
  • IpakDaley
    IpakDaley Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed false steps from my car, but riding my motorcycle gives them to me. I even tried putting my Fitbit in my jacket pocket but it still registered false steps.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    My Garmin doesn't get fake steps when I drive, but washing dishes can clear the lazy alarm.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Are you driving a manual transmission? That could account for all of the "steps."
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit knock off and it would count steps. I've switched to an Apple watch and have not had the issue. Though I do drive a lot and I'm certain I'm burning SOME calories while driving.... Right? :)