The High Wears Off

Options
For the first 4 or 5 months, every time that scale dropped I had a surge of joy and excitement. Sure I had a million miles to go, but progress! That's better than before.

Now when it drops I just feel tired.

Half a year of hard work and my reward is... harder work. And I guess 50 lbs gone. But my pants are the same size and I can still hardly look in the mirror. It sort of feels like no matter how far I go, I'll never change size. -_-

I know that's not true, but I've never not been fat, and feeling exactly the same after half a year is hard. Plus we're going into winter. 20 cm of snow this weekend. Nothing good ever happens when it's icy out.

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to shift your focus for a while. Set new goals. Change things up a bit. I always stay more motivated when I not only set long term goals but have mini goals that I reach. I still have 35-50lbs left to lose. Weight loss is still important to me but I have decided to shift my focus to fitness for a while.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I don't want to take a break.I hate being fat, taking a break would just delay my escape and destroy my mental health.

I’m really tired and burned out.My mini-vacation is still 2 weeks away.

You may not want to take a break, but I think you would really benefit from one. It doesn’t have to be a long term break. A short break would at least take your focus off the scale number going down, and might help you bring back your excitement for losing when you get back to it.

Another thing that might help is to work on some other goal. It can be anything: eating a specific number of vegetables in a week, walking a certain number of steps each day, increasing your flexibility, getting a certain number of hours of sleep each night, flossing, etc.

I certainly have days where I feel like the process is dragging on. I swear I have been losing the same 1 pound forever, but when I look at my weight trend over time, it helps me remember that I am moving in the right direction even though I can’t see it on my body. So, maybe spend some time really looking at your weight graph and acknowledging to yourself just how far you have come. And remember that tomorrow, you will have traveled one step closer to your goal.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are feeling so defeated. You have accomplished so much and should be extremely proud of yourself. I second eating at maintenance for a little bit. I am not sure what you do for exercise, but maybe try something new/different. Exercise is my anti-depressant and would be in a dark place without it!! I hope you find the peace and inner strength to carry on and not give up!!
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I'm tired and burned out from work sucking and being sickly. The more weight I lose, the more goes wrong with my health.

I feel like going on a diet break would just add another layer of unhappiness on this depression sandwich.

Besides, I'd rather go on break at Christmas.

Hi - I mentioned in my previous post you may need to get a check up. Seeing that you're feeling worse the more you lose weight makes me want to push you to set up an appointment. I know everyone is different, but a co-worker who had some rapid loss (40 pounds over 4 months) was having the same issue. She went to the doctor and found her gallbladder was not working properly. Again, do not want to scare you, but with the symptoms of feeling sickly it really is time to schedule an appointment.

We are all pulling for you and want you to feel at your optimal best.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Working on significant weight loss (congrats on the 50lbs!) and ongoing health issues is overwhelming and at this time seems insurmountable to you. I admire that you don't want to quit the dieting and applaud your resolve. I don't think the diet is the root to your depressed feelings.

Maybe you should be more demanding with your doctors, we are our best advocates. Write down your questions and concerns and then address them with the doctor, that's what I do. I feel like I have a voice in my health care and you should too.

Best of luck and this will pass, you have lots of support here!