13»

Replies

• cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    cdubks88 wrote: »
    Fire

All accounts make it sound like a very terrible way to go. **shudder**
    Getting alzheimer's or some other form of dementia. Just living and knowing that pieces of you are vanishing sounds terrifying to me. I rather die young as myself than old and lost.

I feel this one. Multiple family members have succumbed to Alzheimer's and I have had to watch each and every one of them slowly deteriorate into someone unrecognizable and fearful. I'm more afraid of my father ending up with it than myself (I was adopted and have no knowledge regarding my medical history), but honestly? IF I had to choose between dying of Alzheimer's and dying from ANYTHING else, I would choose the anything else. And I mean that sincerely.

I'm going through this with my dad right now. It's a terrible thing to have to witness. I know it's my dad, but it's not my dad if you know what I mean.

His care is not at all what I have issue with. I'll take care of him as long as I possibly can and try to preserve our family home for him. I'll do whatever I have to. It's as much a part of his legacy as our family is - a simple guy who grew up a farmer in a family of 12 kids from small town Midwest who worked his whole life to be better and provide.

Watching him go from that man - the man I knew him to be - to being so helpless.....it's a really tough thing to go through. He's not reached that break point where he doesn't know us yet....but I fear it's coming sooner than we think.

**hugs** My grandmother went from the kindest, sweetest lady who taught me crochet and never said a violent or mean word about anyone to a cursing, screaming angry beast at only 98 pounds. And oddly, the only family member she would ever let near her was my stepmother and myself. I ended up being the only grandchild she remembered by name until the end and the only one she was never overtly violent toward. It was... tough. Definitely.

She took over a decade to get from the point of us knowing she had Alzheimer's to her becoming that person I mentioned, though. She lived to be 96, was only diagnosed in her 80s, but my grandad suspected before that and never pressed her to go see anyone about it. Then again, he never pressed himself to go get checked out for unusual issues and ended up dying from colo-rectal cancer. :neutral:

Sorry you had to go through that. That's why it's such a real fear. I had a friend who went to school with me in grade school and while his father didn't turn violent, he crossed over to not knowing them and it was a long time - I believe 15 years - from the time he really entered that state and passed.

I'll never forget what my friend told me. He said it was like losing him twice. Broke my heart.

THAT is why it's such a real fear.

My best to you. Hope you don't have to endure any more of that.

• CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I’m scared of dying. I’m scared of my loves ones dying young. Sometimes when I begin to think about how fragile life is and none of this time is ever promised to us, it can be easy for me jump on the irrational side of this fear as well. But overall, I think a fear of death, especially when it’s about those dearest to us, it’s a rational fear.

A boy in my sons class right now has leukaemia. He’s only 10. Seeing him both crushes my heart for him and his family, but it’s also given me new perspective that I’m so lucky I have a healthy, happy child. I think we can all relate.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Fire

All accounts make it sound like a very terrible way to go. **shudder**
    Getting alzheimer's or some other form of dementia. Just living and knowing that pieces of you are vanishing sounds terrifying to me. I rather die young as myself than old and lost.

I feel this one. Multiple family members have succumbed to Alzheimer's and I have had to watch each and every one of them slowly deteriorate into someone unrecognizable and fearful. I'm more afraid of my father ending up with it than myself (I was adopted and have no knowledge regarding my medical history), but honestly? IF I had to choose between dying of Alzheimer's and dying from ANYTHING else, I would choose the anything else. And I mean that sincerely.

I'm going through this with my dad right now. It's a terrible thing to have to witness. I know it's my dad, but it's not my dad if you know what I mean.

His care is not at all what I have issue with. I'll take care of him as long as I possibly can and try to preserve our family home for him. I'll do whatever I have to. It's as much a part of his legacy as our family is - a simple guy who grew up a farmer in a family of 12 kids from small town Midwest who worked his whole life to be better and provide.

Watching him go from that man - the man I knew him to be - to being so helpless.....it's a really tough thing to go through. He's not reached that break point where he doesn't know us yet....but I fear it's coming sooner than we think.

**hugs** My grandmother went from the kindest, sweetest lady who taught me crochet and never said a violent or mean word about anyone to a cursing, screaming angry beast at only 98 pounds. And oddly, the only family member she would ever let near her was my stepmother and myself. I ended up being the only grandchild she remembered by name until the end and the only one she was never overtly violent toward. It was... tough. Definitely.

She took over a decade to get from the point of us knowing she had Alzheimer's to her becoming that person I mentioned, though. She lived to be 96, was only diagnosed in her 80s, but my grandad suspected before that and never pressed her to go see anyone about it. Then again, he never pressed himself to go get checked out for unusual issues and ended up dying from colo-rectal cancer. :neutral:

Sorry you had to go through that. That's why it's such a real fear. I had a friend who went to school with me in grade school and while his father didn't turn violent, he crossed over to not knowing them and it was a long time - I believe 15 years - from the time he really entered that state and passed.

I'll never forget what my friend told me. He said it was like losing him twice. Broke my heart.

THAT is why it's such a real fear.

My best to you. Hope you don't have to endure any more of that.

Yeah, I guess my fear at this point would be having to repeat the experience with my dad. Inherited Alzheimer's... which is apparently a thing in our family. Not something I personally have to worry about for myself being adopted, but I dunno.. my dad is probably my favorite person on the planet outside of my son and my stepmother and I do NOT look forward to that happening to him.. or what happened to his dad (cancer), which is also hereditary.

So far, clean bill of health for him outside of normal "old person" problems. :p
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    shunggie wrote: »
    I have MS and fear losing mobility and becoming dependent on others for my basic care. That's what actually started my weight loss journey. The only person I knew with MS woke up one morning and couldn't get out of bed. I remember thinking they won't be able to lift me. I lived in a loft apt and had a very small "bedroom" they wouldn't have been able to get a gurney by my bed. I was terrified.

As for driving, I drive across between Kansas City and St. Louis several times a month on I-70. It is a main east/west route for truck drivers and fear getting crushed by them or by someone who isn't giving them enough room.

Fellow Missourian here. The trucks on I-70 are super scary. I cannot tell you how many close calls I've had because they weren't watching their mirrors like they were supposed to or because some other idiot in a car cut them off forcing them to break suddenly when we're all traveling 75. :neutral:
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Dying and having family and/or friends have to go through all my stuff...and find stuff...but mostly have to go through it and sort it all out