Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    dulinh wrote: »
    The new site sucks :( I use the old site all the time so that I can find the correct MFP database entries.

I searched for 'lentils' and initially got over 900 results. I narrowed to just SR legacy and got 9 which is manageable.
    Next I tried 'chicken' with just the SR legacy selected... 392 results. Who has time for that looking through that list?

I wonder if MFP would please identify the uploaded USDA results in some way to make it easier to search right in MFP. Either bold them, italize, highlight... whatever. Something.

@Alex as you know, right now both the entries MFP pulled from the USDA database and user-created entries that are "Verified" have the green check marks.

With the old USDA database going away and the new one not being as user friendly (see above), it would be really helpful if there was something to differentiate the USDA entries.

c5d5b517c9a526eb953dd4fd121667040b3512959c8de616ec8f2f01190d3540.jpg

Well, not JUST the USDA entries, because there are thousands of user-entered ones that say "USDA" as you know.

The MFP-Administrative entered ones, please differentiate THOSE. My thing has always been, "Make it a separate list." But a different color in the list would even work, or just having them be the top choice, always. The color seems an easier fix...and would still be a nuisance for the user. This has always been THE major gripe with this site.

Now that Chronometer does a much better job, not sure why MFP wouldn't prioritize this. When the site was the only decent database, MFP was a lot more attractive. Now it's just annoying for new users. I stay because I've made my own MY FOODS that works for me, but if I was looking for a free site, I don't think I'd pick this one today.

I edited my post to clarify that I was not referring to user entries that include "USDA".

I agree that MFP should prioritize this, especially since a Chronometer membership includes access to the now superior database mentioned above.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    The new site sucks :( I use the old site all the time so that I can find the correct MFP database entries.

I searched for 'lentils' and initially got over 900 results. I narrowed to just SR legacy and got 9 which is manageable.
    Next I tried 'chicken' with just the SR legacy selected... 392 results. Who has time for that looking through that list?

I wonder if MFP would please identify the uploaded USDA results in some way to make it easier to search right in MFP. Either bold them, italize, highlight... whatever. Something.

@Alex as you know, right now both the entries MFP pulled from the USDA database and user-created entries that are "Verified" have the green check marks.

With the old USDA database going away and the new one not being as user friendly (see above), it would be really helpful if there was something to differentiate the USDA entries.

Well, not JUST the USDA entries, because there are thousands of user-entered ones that say "USDA" as you know.

The MFP-Administrative entered ones, please differentiate THOSE. My thing has always been, "Make it a separate list." But a different color in the list would even work, or just having them be the top choice, always. The color seems an easier fix...and would still be a nuisance for the user. This has always been THE major gripe with this site.

Now that Chronometer does a much better job, not sure why MFP wouldn't prioritize this. When the site was the only decent database, MFP was a lot more attractive. Now it's just annoying for new users. I stay because I've made my own MY FOODS that works for me, but if I was looking for a free site, I don't think I'd pick this one today.

I edited my post to clarify that I was not referring to user entries that include "USDA".

I agree that MFP should prioritize this, especially since a Chronometer membership includes access to the now superior database mentioned above.

Is Chronometer free? Have you checked out the forums? I can't view them for some reason. Of course, I'm also not signed up over there. The thought of having to start over is daunting. After being on here since '07, I just don't even want to think about it...
  • kshama2001
    Options

Is Chronometer free? Have you checked out the forums? I can't view them for some reason. Of course, I'm also not signed up over there. The thought of having to start over is daunting. After being on here since '07, I just don't even want to think about it...

I signed up for free but haven't used it - also daunted by starting over.

@lemurcat2 uses it; hoping she will weigh in.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Finally got around to checking the new site, and it is indeed way worse. It doesn't affect me since when I log I also log at Cronometer, but it is going to make it harder to use MFP effectively for many new folks.

Similarly, the asterisk system was much better than the verified check mark one is. I think if you know how to recognize the old USDA entries already the database can be navigated with that (the actual USDA entries don't say USDA), but I would very much agree that having them in a different color would be superior.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Re Cronometer, it's much easier than MFP if you eat mostly whole foods, but packaged stuff usually has to be added. I don't find it that difficult, but I also don't have a huge bunch of recipes or anything here, since I moved over to Cron for logging quite a while ago. I don't pay.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Re Cronometer, it's much easier than MFP if you eat mostly whole foods, but packaged stuff usually has to be added. I don't find it that difficult, but I also don't have a huge bunch of recipes or anything here, since I moved over to Cron for logging quite a while ago. I don't pay.

Do you go into the forums at all?

I mean, I'm not gonna leave MFP because I already have all my foods safely vetted, but just asking...for a friend...
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont

Thank you for starting this thread. That would have been a big shock for me without the warning. It'll still be a nuisance and a time sink to use the new site, but forewarned is forearmed.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Do you go into the forums at all?

I mean, I'm not gonna leave MFP because I already have all my foods safely vetted, but just asking...for a friend...

No, not at all. I don't even have a username for the forums over there. That's why I'm still here! ;-) I use it strictly for logging.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was also very sad to see that notification. Why take away a good thing?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

392 seems excessive, even with all the permutations of white vs. dark meat, skin included or just meat, cooked or raw, what cooking method, etc. I'm guessing by just typing chicken you're also picking up chicken soup, chicken broth, chicken fried rice, etc. A few years back you used to be able to narrow your search on the USDA database by category (e.g., meat, poultry, cereals and grains, legumes and legume products, etc.), but I guess that was too helpful and the functionality disappeared.
  • kshama2001
    Options

392 seems excessive, even with all the permutations of white vs. dark meat, skin included or just meat, cooked or raw, what cooking method, etc. I'm guessing by just typing chicken you're also picking up chicken soup, chicken broth, chicken fried rice, etc. A few years back you used to be able to narrow your search on the USDA database by category (e.g., meat, poultry, cereals and grains, legumes and legume products, etc.), but I guess that was too helpful and the functionality disappeared.

"Chicken" plus just SR Legacy selected does include brands. I also got 392 results: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/?query=chicken

I thought "chicken, breast" would narrow it down, but now I get 428 results >.<

I hopped back to the old site and see I get a similar number of results, which I never noticed, because the results I wanted were always right at the top.

The new database is cluttered with brands.
  • cmriverside
    edited September 2019
    Options
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I did "chicken breast raw" and got what I wanted up top. So if you know the old syntax somewhat that can help.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    With the old database I could change quantities, which was useful for checking when the USDA database entry wasn't in the MFP database and I wanted to verify a user-created entry.

For the chickpea thread just now I wanted to get the USDA values for 240 g, but unless I'm missing something on https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/173800/nutrients my only options is Portions, which only gives 100 g and 253 grams - I'm bummed I can't enter any value I wanted like I could before.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Yeah, I think that's what I hate most about the new one. Why get rid of a helpful feature like that? Sigh.