Going to try intermittent fasting - anyone want to join me?

I've been trying to lose some weight & while I've quit gaining, I'm not losing... and I'm BAD overweight... researched intermittent fasting & it looks like it would be healthy if done right, lots of good health benefits to the method & workable with a full time job while raising 2 grandsons...

So, my challenge for myself is as follows:

About me:
Grandma to 4 younglings from ages 5 to 13
Current weight: 230.2
Goal weight: 150 ish
Timing: I'd like to drop about 5 lbs a week which should get me there around Christmas... not likely to happen, but I'm going to try it.

Gma in West Tennessee

Replies

• kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    You cannot safely lose 5 lbs a week. That's a 2500 calorie per day deficit. You probably don't even eat that much, so to get 5 lbs a week you'd have to eat nothing at all, plus do exercise.

At your weight you can aim for 2 lbs per week, but even that is gonna be pretty aggressive.

Intermittent fasting still relies on CICO to work, it's not a magic thing that will allow you to drop more weight than usual. It's a valid strategy so go ahead and see if it works for you, but please be safe and do this sustainably.

True I have done both. I am a fan of IF...but switched it up a month ago to eating in a 10 hour window (including breakfast) instead of a six hour eating window I just am eating less and still losing weight. It is easier to eat less at supper when I know that 14 hours later I can have breakfast so it all evens out IMO
  • Taytaylynn92
    Taytaylynn92 Posts: 230 Member
    This is my 3rd week doing IF and I love it!
  • gma38059
    gma38059 Posts: 25 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Suggestion: If you want to try IF, just start the easy way: 16:8. You don't need to fast every third day from bedtime till supper too - that'll probably drive you nuts and lead to binging.

Dieting is one of those things where simplicity really pays off. You're talking about 16:8 IF, low carb, twice a week starvation from morning till dinner ... that's a lot of challenges being stacked on top of each other. Keep it simple. Go get yourself a calorie target from the MFP goals too, and hit that target every single day. If 16:8 IF helps you do that, great! You don't need anything else beyond that - carbs, less carbs, whole day fasts - those are all distractions.

Just my 2 cents.
    Suggestion: If you want to try IF, just start the easy way: 16:8. You don't need to fast every third day from bedtime till supper too - that'll probably drive you nuts and lead to binging.

Dieting is one of those things where simplicity really pays off. You're talking about 16:8 IF, low carb, twice a week starvation from morning till dinner ... that's a lot of challenges being stacked on top of each other. Keep it simple. Go get yourself a calorie target from the MFP goals too, and hit that target every single day. If 16:8 IF helps you do that, great! You don't need anything else beyond that - carbs, less carbs, whole day fasts - those are all distractions.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree. I looked at the every third day and it did seem a little much to do a all day fast. I'm going to do the 16:8 from supper one day until lunch the next - with overnight sleep included, it isn't as hard. I don't go to bed hungry and I drink coffee in mornings which helps with the hunger before lunch. I eat a normal lunch & supper on my fast days and limit to 1100 calories on non-fasting days. It appears to be working since so far this week, I'm down almost 2 lbs which I think is reasonable.

Gma
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited October 2019
    gma38059 wrote: »
    I agree. I looked at the every third day and it did seem a little much to do a all day fast. I'm going to do the 16:8 from supper one day until lunch the next - with overnight sleep included, it isn't as hard. I don't go to bed hungry and I drink coffee in mornings which helps with the hunger before lunch. I eat a normal lunch & supper on my fast days and limit to 1100 calories on non-fasting days. It appears to be working since so far this week, I'm down almost 2 lbs which I think is reasonable.

Gma

I think you've got a solid approach there (except for the 1100 calorie part, 1200 is the minimum recommended for anyone and the extra 100 cals would be inconsequential for your weight loss). I know for myself doing 16:8 (11 am - 7 pm) is exceptionally easy in that it gives me two full size, non-diety meals per day while still coming in at my MFP calorie target. My hunger and interest in food has absolutely plummeted outside the eating window and I rarely if ever feel even the slightest hunger pang between dinner and bedtime anymore, whereas in the old days I was positively ravenous in the evenings and would make late-late night trips to 7-11 for junk food, something I never, ever do anymore. Also, I used to wake up very hungry but even after a couple weeks of 16:8 I was waking up with zero hunger or interest in food, and that has pretty much continued. Every once in a while I'll have breakfast now, because I love carby breakfast food like waffles and bagels, but honestly it's so much harder to make everything fit calorically when I expend calories outside the 11-7 window that most days I just stay on the 16:8 plan and am content doing so.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    gma38059 wrote: »

Just my 2 cents.

Just my 2 cents.

Gma

So you are not counting calories on your fast days? That is a recipe for failure. Instead of having 5 days where you eat whatever 16:8 and 2 days where you undereat but all day, you might be happier counting and eating the same calorie goal each day. You can still do the fasting 16:8 every day if the schedule works for you. Remember: how much you eat is critical, when you eat is not.
  • gma38059
    gma38059 Posts: 25 Member
    I have decided to follow a modified Akins plan. I keep net carbs at 25 or less daily. Along with that, I'm trying to keep my calories at 1500 or less. Started this early in December and am down 10 lbs total so far. I didn't start tracking weight for the first week or so, but started at 233. Losing slow, which I prefer.