Weirdest thing happened to me on campus

Options
So I was talking to a classmate/friend and he said even tho you’ve trained in kickboxing but I still would beat you and he said it in a friendly way but he’s super competitive so I said if you beat me without training and I’ve had 6 months of training I’d quit kickboxing and so we scheduled a spar

15 seconds pass and another classmate wants part of the spar too so i was like sure I’d take you on as well and he has 1 year of boxing training so that’ll be fun

Idk why I’m sharing this but I just did 🤷‍♂️😅

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Don't ever quit kickboxing if you lose. Btw, do you know his past experience in the martial arts or other fighting?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I agree with not giving it up even if you lose. Good motivation to kick up your training, I suppose.
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't ever quit kickboxing if you lose. Btw, do you know his past experience in the martial arts or other fighting?

One guy has no mma experience and the other has 1 year of boxing.

I have six months of training but I haven’t trained at all in 2019 due to a couple of injuries but I do want to start again

If i lose I will quit but trust me they are underestimating me and I know for a fact I can easily win even against the boxer they both have a street fight mentality so I’ll just overwhelm them with pure skill and counters
  • igutt
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    As someone who spars fairly regularly (1-2 times a month on average), let me give you some advice:

First of all, sparing isn't about "winning" or "losing". Sure, you can usually tell who the better fighter is during sparing, but that is not the point. The point is to get accustomed to fighting in a realistic scenario, getting comfortable taking a hit, and helping your partner better prepare as well.

Who performs better in a sparring match depends on a lot of factors, not strictly skill. If someone is bigger or faster, etc, that can affect it regardless of skill level. Skill is obviously important, but it is not the be all and end all. I have done better against certain people than I thought, and worse against others. It never comes down to just skill.

And whatever you guys do, make sure you spar in a structured environment with proper protective equipment, ideally supervised by a coach or someone who will look out for your safety. Unstructured, unsupervised sparring can lead to serious injury. Even with protective gear and supervised, I have taken my fair share of hard hits and bruises sparring. You definitely don't want to just go into it casually.

I’ve sparred before and yes it’s not about winning or losing but this one is so I have to win and I can win too but no one knows what’ll happen
  • igutt
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I agree with not giving it up even if you lose. Good motivation to kick up your training, I suppose.

But I was so hyped when they called me out I said if you beat me I’m not kickboxing again
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    igutt wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »

But I was so hyped when they called me out I said if you beat me I’m not kickboxing again

A dumb off handed comment you made to your friend is not a legally binding contract. Whether you win or lose, continue with the training if you enjoy it and find it beneficial.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    "The great mistake is to anticipate the outcome of the engagement; you ought not to be thinking of whether it ends in victory or defeat. Let nature take its course, and your tools will strike at the right moment." - Bruce Lee
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,218 Member
    Options

I have six months of training but I haven’t trained at all in 2019 due to a couple of injuries but I do want to start again

If i lose I will quit but trust me they are underestimating me and I know for a fact I can easily win even against the boxer they both have a street fight mentality so I’ll just overwhelm them with pure skill and counters

I'm worried about you. I did MA (obscure Chinese MA) for years, though I don't anymore. At one point, I was the staff advisor to a large university's Kung Fu Club. I've known a lot of college-age martial artists of various backgrounds and skill levels. Thinking "I can easily win" and that you (after 6 months of kickboxing experience) have "pure skill and counters" that will overwhelm "street fight mentality" . . . I don't know how to persuade you, but that mindset is really, really not a good ally.

@MikePTY is giving you very good advice about safety, and about not making this what decides whether you go on with kickboxing or not. Listen to Mike.
  • igutt
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm worried about you. I did MA (obscure Chinese MA) for years, though I don't anymore. At one point, I was the staff advisor to a large university's Kung Fu Club. I've known a lot of college-age martial artists of various backgrounds and skill levels. Thinking "I can easily win" and that you (after 6 months of kickboxing experience) have "pure skill and counters" that will overwhelm "street fight mentality" . . . I don't know how to persuade you, but that mindset is really, really not a good ally.

@MikePTY is giving you very good advice about safety, and about not making this what decides whether you go on with kickboxing or not. Listen to Mike.

I’m listening don’t worry what I meant by “pure skill and counters” was skill that is high enough to overwhelm someone who hasn’t trained and “street fight mentality” because the guy was saying he could take me out with one punch

Those guys both think I’m a walk in the park because I never show off or try to act dominant but one think is for sure is that I fight my *kitten* off against bigger and more experienced guys and I just wanted to show them to not judge a book by its cover