Strength trainging whole body vs isolation workouts

Options
Ive been working out for a couple weeks and have been doing whole body workouts with dumbbells. I just feel like the whole body workout videos aren't really pushing me. So my question should I stick to them for now and just increase sets? Or should I start splitting up my workouts to isolate a couple muscle groups per workout instead?
I tend to do 3 sets of 10-15 reps doing 2/3 exercises per body group so lower mid and upper body.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Cat_A_89 wrote: »
    Ive been working out for a couple weeks and have been doing whole body workouts with dumbbells. I just feel like the whole body workout videos aren't really pushing me. So my question should I stick to them for now and just increase sets? Or should I start splitting up my workouts to isolate a couple muscle groups per workout instead?
    I tend to do 3 sets of 10-15 reps doing 2/3 exercises per body group so lower mid and upper body.
    Please explain what exactly you mean and post your current template.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    The body works as a system not in isolation.

Generally speaking if your goal is to get stronger (which it should be) you will be better served by multi-joint compound movements like the squat, press, bench, and deadlift. Also barbells are usually more effective for this than dumbbells...
  • Cat_A_89
    Cat_A_89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I dont know what you mean with template. I follow full body workout videos. I workout at home as I cant afford a gym membership and only have dumbbells atm. Im buying more equipment as I can afford it so im very limited at what I can do
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately that type of training has minimal effectiveness beyond a few weeks, as you are discovering.

Make do with what you have until better equipment is available. Maybe some of the body weight or kettlebell type stuff?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    You can't do a very effective FULL BODY workout w/dumbbells but if that's all you've got, you'll have to make do but, if that's all you've got, you're also NOT at a stage where doing isolation exercises will do you any good because you have not achieved a level of muscle development where isolation exercises would really make a difference.

For true full body routines for BEGINNERS, please consider the programs, Starting Strength or Stronglifts, which use Olympic barbells to perform the 4 basic lifts - DL, SWT, BP & OHP plus 1 or 2 other compound lifts, that are all you need to do for overall strength and muscular development as a newbie to lifting.

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    What are your goals, OP?
  • Cat_A_89
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    What are your goals, OP?

Fatloss for now. I have another 50 or so pounds to lose already down 46 pounds. Once I get closer to my goal I want to have muscle definition and not look "skinny fat". I alternate cardio and strength days and workout 6 days a week for 30/40mins atm but plan on increasing my workout sessions when I have some more endurance
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Can you get some heavier weights to challenge you, or maybe increase the reps? Or try some different workouts if these are too easy.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I’ve just replied to your push up post.
    Have a look at the Nerdfitness routine in the link above (which lifting programme is best for you)
    It will give you a good grounding for moving on to weights.

Hasfit has a good simple YouTube programme for dumbbells, and there are some good progressive dumbbell routines in the aforementioned link.

Start where you are and progress from there, no need to start with a barbell.

If you can’t afford more weights, add sets, reps, and complexity.

It sounds like you were doing more of ‘conditioning/endurance routine and it might be time to move on.

Cheers, h.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Taking things at face value, I'd stick with full body, but get on a more established/reputable program that includes progression.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

I dont know what you mean with template. I follow full body workout videos. I workout at home as I cant afford a gym membership and only have dumbbells atm. Im buying more equipment as I can afford it so im very limited at what I can do

example:
    Tues:
    dumbell step ups 4x8
    dumbell floor press 4x8
    dumbell lunges 3x12

Thurs:
    dumbell goblet squats 4x10
    dumbell bent rows 4x8
    dumbell rdl 3x12

By explaining what you are actually doing, it helps with giving you options that would help you.

Also please explain what "aren't really pushing me" means to you.
  • Cat_A_89
    Options

example:
    Tues:
    dumbell step ups 4x8
    dumbell floor press 4x8
    dumbell lunges 3x12

Thurs:
    dumbell goblet squats 4x10
    dumbell bent rows 4x8
    dumbell rdl 3x12

By explaining what you are actually doing, it helps with giving you options that would help you.

Also please explain what "aren't really pushing me" means to you.

I just look up fullbody dumbell workouts on youtube.
    Im really starting from scratch so not really versed in strength training methods or what moves im doing lol. Ive been following videos with straightforward compound movements.
    What I mean by not really pushing me is I don't seem to feel the workouts after I guess. No DOMS most workouts except for legs but I run on my cardio days so that might have to do with it. Im not sure if Im not doing the moves right and just not engaging the muscles or if I should do longer sessions. I do about 30/40 mins 3 sets of around 10/20 reps of each exercise in the video I have to show me the moves.
    Unfortunately I only have 10 and 15 pound dumbells atm and some resistance bands and my own bodyweight of course so I try to make due with what I have.
    Total fitness noob here 😅