Lets talk Peanut butter?

Replies

• rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    edited October 2019
    Wife and I each eat a 32-gram serving every day while losing a combined 240+ lbs. Our go to brand is Smuckers all natural, or Costco's Kirkland brand. They contain only peanuts and salt, as a good pb should.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Y'all should be eating Wowbutter. It's my favorite nut/seed butter and I've tried a lot of them. I don't even have a nut allergy; it's just freaking delicious.

creamy-jar-front-us_thn.jpg
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited October 2019
    Y'all should be eating Wowbutter. It's my favorite nut/seed butter and I've tried a lot of them. I don't even have a nut allergy; it's just freaking delicious.

It is really good. I always keep a jar in my classroom's cupboard (usually have a few little bunnies who either didn't have breakfast or came w/out a lunch or snack).
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    No need to feel bad about anything you eat. Anything you eat is not going to hurt weight loss as long as you are within your calories for the day (or week if that’s how you prefer to track it).
    Peanut butter is awesome.
    I like it on toasted honey wheat bread. It also tastes great to use a tablespoon or so to dip apple slices in. It also makes a great PB&J to use apple jelly or strawberry jelly instead of the traditional grape and it goes good with raw honey.
    I have been eating mostly the natural/no sugar peanut butter lately, and I love it! This is not because I’m opposed to sugar because that couldn’t be farther from the truth. I actually tried it thinking I wouldn’t like it, but it turns out I do.
    Nutritionally, PB has a lot to offer, so just make it fit your calories and no guilt.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member

can't stand the stuff.. first bite not bad then after that there is an odd aftertaste, blah. my kids wont even touch it
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    erickirb wrote: »

can't stand the stuff.. first bite not bad then after that there is an odd aftertaste, blah. my kids wont even touch it

That's weird...the kids in my class seem to love it. Maybe they don't like it cause you have said to them you don't?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2019
    LOVE peanut butter. It's been a part of my weight gain plan and weight loss plan throughout. I gained a ton of my weight be eating 3 or so PB&Js for snacks every night. It caught up to me! Now, I just eat one TBS or so and I'm done (I'm years into maintenance -- like 9 years). Occasionally, I add it in protein drinks too.
  • YoungGun11
    YoungGun11 Posts: 46 Member
    Peanut Butter is like food sex. It’s that good!!!!!
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    It's not the texture of peanut butter and it's processed but I find lower caloriy PB2 works well as a replacement in recipes calling for peanut butter such as satay sauce for grilled meats, West African peanut soup, asian peanut/sesame noodles, bang bang chicken.

oooooo recipe for the West African peanut soup? Pretty please?
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Got the Kirkland organic peanut butter and its really good. Its oily of course so you have to mix it but its very good peanut butter.

Yes, you were right. :flowerforyou: I took at look at it today when I went there for yogurt (and an unplanned ladder :lol: ). I could swear it had palm oil, not all that far back.

If only they'd stock a good crunchy one (creamy is not my jam ;) ). While I don't really care about 'clean', I do like to keep things simple, so I'd buy/try it if they had it crunchy.

It's surprising how much variation there is in flavor/texture even among peanut butters with just peanuts and salt. Some are soupy, some thick; some darker roasted; some taste kinda stale. For now, I'm sticking to Santa Cruz, not the cheapest but so far the best texture/taste.

How do you store it? I mix mine, then put it in the fridge - mostly stays mixed. My dad used to store his on the shelf, but upside down, for a result a little closer to automatically mixed at room temp.

I don't know what to do with it. The messy oily runny part is annoying not it tastes great. I just mix as I go, store it in the pantry.

Storing it upside down helps a lot. the oil rises to the top, so when you turn it over it is just easier to mix.
  • hellonurse54
    hellonurse54 Posts: 5 Member
    I love PB😍 I seriously can’t not have it in my life. So I find that the Keto Diet works well for me and PB. I choose the natural variety, no added sugar! It keeps it lower carb. Paleo Diet says no PB, I was bummed to see that lol. My husband doesn’t understand my serious love for PB. I also use PB 2, it’s good for making my homemade Peanut Butter cups! Yep, I’m also a chocolate fanatic lol. You shouldn’t feel guilty for indulging in your PB. If you are losing weight and then maintaining it, you will be fine!!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I make a bangin' good PB muffin in the microwave. Takes less than 2 minutes and it tastes just like a peanut butter cookie if you let it cool.

1-3 TB peanut butter 3 TB tops
    1/4 tsp baking powder Use 1/2 teaspoon baking powder with 3 TB peanut butter
    1/4 cup almond or coconut milk or Ripple
    1/4 cup coconut, almond flour or pillsbury gluten-free all purpose flour blend
    1/2 teaspoon real vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice (my favorite)
    Sugar alternative - amount that you like 2-3 packets of Truvia

This is optional but here's what I add instead of the Truvia packets and it's quick
    1 SlimFast Keto Fat Bomb Shot - Salted Caramel Creme and it already has the stevia so I don't add any extra sweeteners

Microwave approx 90 seconds or up to 2 minutes depending on your watts
    Cool
    Great with tea
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I just had peanut butter on apple for lunch. It was delicious. I had avoided PB for a long while due to the calorie density, but it fits pretty nicely into my current eating plan, and I love the stuff.

I definitely weigh it though - with the calorie density I wouldn't rely on "measuring" a "spoonful" lol.

But it was yummy :D
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    I just had peanut butter on apple for lunch. It was delicious. I had avoided PB for a long while due to the calorie density, but it fits pretty nicely into my current eating plan, and I love the stuff.

I definitely weigh it though - with the calorie density I wouldn't rely on "measuring" a "spoonful" lol.

But it was yummy :D

Peanut butter and apples go together so well! I never tried it and my SIL introduced me to it. Of course we had huge clubs of peanut butter to dip the apples in!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    vaman wrote: »
    Ah, peanut butter is my Waterloo. I’m glad you guys can eat two tablespoons of it and put it away...but I know myself, and I “can’t.” Too many times in my yo-yo diet life, dipping into a jar of Jif Extra Crunchy has been the first step on the path to a weeklong overeating/carb heavy mistake!

So sadly, until I learn to control myself, peanut butter is off the menu.

I'm in the same boat...In fact I no longer even have any in my house 🤐

I have been buying a sample size from the fresh ground kind in bulk section. I use sample cups ( bring my own or use ones from store) to be able to have it without buying a whole jar. Something about peanut butter is the challenge food for not bingeing. So far it's working. I can have it and not let OCD take over.
    I like Smuckers crunchy natural or fresh ground. I love peanut butter more than almost any food! It's so good.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    At the moment I am really enjoying this brands fun flavors

https://youfreshnaturals.com/

Mostly almond & cashew butters

Still won't turn my nose up to Reese's Peanut Butter cups or a PB&J.

I bought dark chocolate Reese's Peanut Butter cups "for the tricker-treaters." In my defense, I was premenstrual at the time.

A week later and the tricker-treaters are out of luck, lol.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited October 2019
    I was pretty indifferent towards peanut butter for the longest time.

After I hit maintenance it really helped me to reach my high calorie goal and I started to enjoy it more.

Eating peanut butter with apples, adding a couple tablespoons to my protein smoothies, making pb fudge, pb & chocolate fat bombs and pb & j sandwiches helps me to add calories to my day and they all taste great.

Also I like making peanut butter in my Nutribullet. It's so easy and the clean up is quick.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2019
    Slightly off topic but I replaced peanut butter with almond butter. I've read but cannot confirm that it's a better form of fat. Caloric but also very filling.

Expensive at Whole Paycheck. But reasonable from Costco.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    I feel bad because I can't keep it in the house. I'll eat an entire jar in a day or two